Menu

quick breakfast ideas

I have spoiled my kids long enough! I cook their breakfast everyday since day 1 and I won't do it any longer. In saying that, now what? I need quick breakfast ideas that even my 6 yo can handle. Here's what I came up with so far:

instant oatmeal

cold cereal

hard boiled eggs

toast/bagels

waffles

any more?....

My kids are expected to get their own breakfast most mornings.

We pre-make huge double batches of waffles and freeze them to use in the toaster whenever we want. Cheaper and better for you than the ones you can buy and you can make your own flavors for variety. Our favorite is whole wheat peanut butter waffles.

You can also think about toppings - cream cheese, peanut butter, etc. And we keep lots of fruit on hand for breakfast.

Pancakes can be frozen and reheated in the microwave. It only takes about 60 seconds.

I also freeze homemade waffles, but we reheat them by placing them right on the oven rack at 350 for a few minutes. We've found that a regular toaster doesn't get the center warm and makes the outside too crispy. If we had a toaster oven, I'd probably use that.

Guest sadie423

We keep muffins- homemade in lots of flavors, waffles, pancakes, tortillas, etc. In the freezer. They take what they want and heat it in the microwave. They also eat fruit- bananas, grapes,etc they can get themselves. I hardly ever make breakfast for them. From about3 on they are on their own and usually before then the older ones help the younger ones.

My kids are expected to get their own breakfast most mornings.

We pre-make huge double batches of waffles and freeze them to use in the toaster whenever we want. Cheaper and better for you than the ones you can buy and you can make your own flavors for variety. Our favorite is whole wheat peanut butter waffles.

You can also think about toppings - cream cheese, peanut butter, etc. And we keep lots of fruit on hand for breakfast.

I thought about this but then I remembered I gave away our waffle maker becuase dh refused to clean it after he used it :D

Pancakes can be frozen and reheated in the microwave. It only takes about 60 seconds.

I also freeze homemade waffles, but we reheat them by placing them right on the oven rack at 350 for a few minutes. We've found that a regular toaster doesn't get the center warm and makes the outside too crispy. If we had a toaster oven, I'd probably use that.

I do make *mean* blueberry pancakes. Getting the griddle out now!!

We keep muffins- homemade in lots of flavors, waffles, pancakes, tortillas, etc. In the freezer. They take what they want and heat it in the microwave. They also eat fruit- bananas, grapes,etc they can get themselves. I hardly ever make breakfast for them. From about3 on they are on their own and usually before then the older ones help the younger ones.

Hey Sadie423, it's your first post, welcome!

Muffins, we love muffins. I forgot about those and that would go yummy with some yogurt as well. Thanks.

Our focus is protein and fruit. Every morning. So here are some protein servings at our house:

almonds (can't remember amount, 1/3 cup?)

sunflower seeds (I think 1/3 cup is 10g protein approx)

cottage cheese

yogurt

whole wheat or other bagels (10g protein)

peanut butter on anything :) or in a spoon in a rush

milk or homemade yogurt smoothie

leftover meat/protein dinner dishes

eggs in all forms

vegetarian or regular lean sausage

About half of these are available to be chosen at any given time. The kids are pretty good about getting their own breakfast. Blueberry or chocolate chip pancakes or waffles once a week :).

lisaj