Menu

How did you (as a young person) or your teen make their faith personal?

I'm wondering what thought process or book or practice or relationship made a difference in making your faith (whatever it is) something that you owned (rather than something you might do because your parents believed a certain way). I hope I worded that somewhat clearly. Ask further questions if I didn't. And no, I'm not looking for a formula. I'm just mulling the topic over in my own mind.

For me - it was the realization that my life, which revolved around booze and parties, did not match what I said that I believed. I went through about a 3 - 4 month soul searching when I re-examined all my beliefs and decided that they were more important to me than sneaking out for a buzz. I also had two wonderful mentors who let me say or question anything I wanted without raising an eyebrow.

I think I had a Springboard Moment...:glare:

Without getting too specific, in my Party Days, I caught someone in the act of attempting suicide. I convinced her to stop - all the while, she's bombarding me with "No one would care if I died", "Am I going to hell?" etc. Anyway, as horrible as it was, the story had a happy ending. Several years later, she mailed me a letter with a picture of her baby in it! :001_smile:

Without sounding too cliche, I think giving answers to her questions caused wheels to turn in my own head. About "soul-searching"... This started happening for me after this incident. I did spend a lot of time "thinking" about this and thinking about why people feel so lost or worthless to the point where they just want to die. It's very sad. I think we're meant for a lot more than what we see in our day.

Oh well. Good luck with your question! :auto:

I'm not sure what all played into it, but I think going through hard times made a big difference. There was no one better to go to than my God. His Word gave comfort and reassurance of His constant love and concern, His almighty-ness, etc. I wrote out my prayers during my teen years and that was very meaningful.

Encouragement from other Christians was important, too. It's good not to feel like you're alone...

I think my teens (and I!) would say it's the sacramental and festal aspects of our church that encourages commitment and growth in us. Preparing to participate in the sacraments (and then partaking of them, I'm specifically thinking about confession and the Eucharist right now; the same could be said of when we were preparing for baptism) guides our week and days. It helps shape what we do and don't do each day (or does if we fully enter in -- Lord have mercy, I still "miss it" so much). And in partaking of the sacraments, we come into the presence of Christ our Savior.

The feasts of the church year do a similar thing over a larger period of time. The cycles that we see in the Church really teach us about Christ and his life and his Body; and stepping into the flow of them provides for letting go of trying to figure so much out -- we just enter into what the church already IS, instead of trying to get the church to fit with who we are, you know?

Anyway, those are the thoughts I have in my Orthodox brain this morning in regard to your questions. I hope you find some great answers.

My faith didn't become 'personal' until I was choosing it on my own. When we were still in my hometown and going to church because Mom and Dad would call and ask where we were if we didn't show up, it was still a *work*. When we moved away and had to choose to go to church it made a difference. Then, we were around people who truly lived their faith and it was different to see my peers living a life worthy of their calling rather than watching my parents live their faith. It became something that I had to choose to do that affected my life rather than something my parents did and I watched. Of course, they provided a practical template that I was able to follow - their faith had a meaning and a purpose in their life, but until I chose to allow it to have meaning and purpose in my life it was just an action.

After that decision I began studying and praying more in reference to my personal experiences and it became more real and as a result had a greater impact on my daily life. I think it just had to do with becoming more mature and needing it rather than it being expected. KWIM?

Guest Virginia Dawn

I guess I was unusual. My faith was personal at a very young age. I was given an old Gideon Bible by someone I babysat for when I was 10. I read it often over the years. I was a very lonely teenager, partly because my stubborn faith kept me out of most of what other kids were doing. I also saw my father searching and questioning Christianity, that was a wonderful example for me. I didn't always rely on what I was told but had to search things out for myself.