Menu

Singapore Math ?

mom2denj

They weren't available the first time I did Singapore 1a/b and I've never needed them. 1a/b has a lot of fairly simple concepts. If I felt like we needed more I just looked to the pictures to get ideas for ways to use maniplatives to make things more hands-on.:001_smile:

We are on level 4A now and have used Singapore all the way through. I have not bought the IG's for any level until 4A. I did not feel like I needed them at all, but now for 4A I wanted to make sure that I am not missing any more advanced explanations. So, I would say they can definitely be skipped.

I also use the Standards edition, if that makes any difference.

My son is in 1a and I find the HIG helpful. One of my goals is to teach math using manipulatives and games because imo it will help him solve more complex math problems later.

I don't know if the SM method of teaching will help him achieve that, but I do know that I had problems myself when I took a class in Calc 2. The class seemed so foreign to me. I was used to straightforward problems using formulas my entire school career (got all As in math), and then came Calc 2. I couldn't think, my mind froze.

So this is why I'm trying different approaches to teaching math. I couldn't rely on my method of teaching and that is why I'm using the HIG to get ideas.

For the Primary 1A & 1B, are the Home Instructors Guides necessary?

Necessary? No, helpful quite possibly. I didn't use them, but I also own/read all or most all of the books recommended for teacher's on the Singapore Math website.

If you are not used to the Singapore approach and/or not mathy, then why not get them? They usually have a good resale value.

Heather

I have used the HIG for 1A and 1B, we are now doing 2A.

I teach the lesson from the HIG and then we usually skip the textbook and start working in the workbook/IP. I would much rather forget the textbook than the HIG, there is more content in the HIG than in the textbook.

just my 2c.

ETA: I use the Standards Edition.