Menu

Do you follow the notebooking plan of WTM?

*AM*

This is our first year of implementing WTM and I love the idea of each subject having its own notebook for four years. Have you used a three ring binder and loose leaf for each?

Have you all followed that and how has that worked for you?

It really sounds great :)

We did it for first grade last year for science, language and history. I just used folders for art and math papers.

I did not put the papers in everyday, but as they began to pile up I then took the time to put them into the 3 ring binders. Although it took me a little while to actually get the papers in them, is was nice to see everything so organized. My main reason for using them is my ds can look back through them easily and hopefully really feel a sense of accomplishment seeing all the work we did for that year, and then it's also easy for reviewing.

I love the idea. I am an anal, check-the-boxes person, and the notebooks would have allowed me to see those checkoffs. But, I have an older DS who loathed writing early on so we turned lots of work into oral work. Then, the multiple notebooks just seemed so...much. He passes most of his spelling pretests missing only 1 or 2 - why have a list of misspelled words? I have the completed pages from FLL3 and WWE2/3 - why make a notebook? I have the history narrations as given to me on the computer - someday I'll print and bind them with the coloring pages and mapwork. Science - we do a lot by discovery and don't worry too much about documentation at this point - any notebook would seem rather scattered.

Maybe in middle school?

I gave my kids 3-ringed binders. My dd's notebook worked great. My ds's book all the pages ripped somehow, he lost them, at least once a week the binder would "accidently" come open and all the pages would fall out and be out of order again. lol

I tried it at first, but with 5 kids it ended up being a lot of notebooks.... even just for one school year.

Now, we use one binder per school year with subject dividers.

I like this idea. It seems less overwhelming. And I only have one kid that I will be homeschooling. :blush: I think I'll try that.

Edited by creeksidelearning
typo

Yes and no. We do have a science notebook just like the WTM suggests. We keep a history notebook, but we make a new one each year instead of keeping the same one for the entire four year cycle. This is also the first year we've kept the language notebook that is suggested in WTM. So far I've been pleased with the notebooks we have kept. Plus, it's fun to look back at them :).

We're going to try it out this year. I've got all of mine made up. My son loves binders, though, and he has 5-6 on his own shelf with his own papers. We were just at the store and he was begging me for another one, for *his* stuff.

I tried at first, but it is alot of notebooks for five kids.

We are using a notebook with dividers, too. For History each child will have a notebook for each volume of SOTW.

I hope to help my olders put together a LA resource notebook this year. For example, the Writing section would have an official (teaching model) example of every type of writing they have done so far for reference: types of letters, narration, paragraph, outlining...