Menu

teens and chores

I have a dd16, who does not regularly have set chores to do.

When she was younger she had a chore chart, and pretty much complied. As she got into her teens, and with the rat race of homeschool, sports, activities, and teenage drama (:lol:), everything has gotten off track.I just want to get her back on a routine.

Whatever I ask her to do each day, she will do. Now, I just want to give her specific chores, without having to hound her every day. She is an excellent student and athlete and keeps a busy schedule. What types of chores are your 16 ish teen responsible for? Do they keep the same chores or rotate? Please share your experiences.

Thanks!

My 13 year old -

Takes care of the cat (feeds, waters, scoops litter, sweeps the bathroom) every morning.

Takes care of his room (makes bed, puts dirty laundry in the hamper, keeps room neat) every day. (Every now and then it starts to creep downhill and we have a deep cleaning day of his room).

Helps tidy the living room every night.

Otherwise his chores are not set but he:

sets and clears the table usually at least once a day.

makes either breakfast or lunch for us every other day or so.

usually puts in at least one load of laundry into the washer, dryer or both

does weeding for me

mows the front lawn every 1 - 2 weeks as needed

vacuums the living room, dining room and hall

Could you sit down and make a list of the chores that need to be done, and then ask her to pick X number of chores off that list as "hers"...? This would be especially nice if there are things you can tolerate doing that she can't stand and vice versa. And having a choice is always nice in general.

We have our chores organized by day and location and then divided among oldest three dc (18, 13, 11).

The room assignments are hall bath with kitchen, master bath with living room and downstairs bath with family room.

On Monday we straighten and dust. Tuesday - straighten and vacuum. Wednesday - clean bathrooms. Thursday - straighten and bring up laundry. Friday - straighten and put away clothes.

Each dc is also responsible for keeping their own room clean according to the schedule.

I divide up dish/kitchen chores at the end of each meal. Although dc18 usually unloads the dishwasher before I ask. I think that's so she never has to wash dishes.

My 16 yr old (who is not hs'd):

Cooks (he's making dinner tonight...chicken alfredo)

Mows, rakes and shovels nearly every weekend

Does his own laundry weekly

Cleans his cat littler box

Babysits

Often does the marketing (he doesn't have his license- but I can drop him off with w/ my credit card so he can go through the self-checkout) while I run other errands and then go pick him up.

He vacs, puts dishes away, and knows how to clean the bathroom.

Empties trash from barn and puts it to pickup.

He's done quite a bit of outdoor painting as well.

lest anyone think he's not a pain sometimes, I promise you that he is. :D Not about chores...we've not had any issues with kids not wanting to help, and that I can't explain.

Dd16: All dishes every alternate week. Cleans the pool and checks the filter daily as needed. Feed chickens daily and picks up doggy do every alternate week. Does own washing and keeps room tidy (well, no she doesnt, but she does tidy it regularly).

Ds14: ALl dishes every alternate week. Empties all bins daily/weekly as needed. Feeds chickens daily and picks up doggy do every alternate week. Does own washing and keeps room tidy.

Both vacuum, dust and do weekly general cleaning chores as needed- a max of 30 minutes though.