Menu

Need help planning upcoming year for 1st & 2nd grades.

Here is my plan so far, and any input or advice would be appreciated.:) I really want to keep things simple as much as I can. All of them are reading.

DD-2nd grade:

BJU English online

WWE I (will start 2nd half of book)

AAS (combined with her brothers)

BJU Math online

Twin Boys-1st grade:

WWE I (will not start until 2nd half of 1st grade)

AAS (Combined with sister)

BJU Math online

I am thinking about getting HOD Beyond for the emerging readers schedule and biography readings. :confused:

Any suggestions for science & history? BJU looks good, or we could finish up HOD LHFHG from lessong 23 on.

I would love to get a Bible program that's interesting and something we can do together.

As you can see, I'm all over the place here and not sure which direction to go.:001_huh:

Edited by 1GirlTwinBoys

I am thinking about getting HOD Beyond for the emerging readers schedule and biography readings.

If that is all you want is for why wouldn't you get DITHOR instead?

Any suggestions for science & history? BJU looks good, or we could finish up HOD LHFHG from lessong 23 on.

If you don't like HOD, drop it. If you do, then keep chugging away.

I probably can't provide a good answer re BJUP, because textbooks for elementary school history/ social studies and science are all varying levels of yuck to me. If for no other reason, they are awfully expensive for the information they provide. However, BJUP's texts tend to be more visually interesting than ABeka's. So, if a Christian textbook will simplify and accomplish the task at hand and help keep you rolling, BJUP will get the job done.

I would love to get a Bible program that's interesting and something we can do together.

My only suggestion would be to look at the SL Bible selections and see if something jumps out at you.

HTH-

Mandy

what about sentence family for a super fun intro to grammar. my 4 did it together and asked to do it again this year!

Oh, just reread your post. Also, Stick Figuring through the Bible.

Do you own the Christian Liberty Press Nature Readers? That would be a fun addition. They are so excellent! A 2nd grader could read them... but the content is amazing.

what about sentence family for a super fun intro to grammar. my 4 did it together and asked to do it again this year!

I've looked at this several times, it looks SO cute! Are the stories fun? My kids are probably beyond it, but I love the connection with the colors to the characters! Do the kids actually draw their own pictures, or are the pictures in the book the ones we see on the site? (Also, I confess I don't understand the pronoun picture, what am I supposed to get from that one?)

So fun to "meet" someone who has actually used this! Wish I had seen it a few years ago!

Merry :-)

The stories are fun and once you did it then the pronoun picture makes sense. The use of color to symbolize was really helpful. My dd is 10 and she is the one who asked to please do it again. But all 4 of my kids loved it. Each child makes their own picture. I drew them too. We had a great time and I think remember the sentence types and parts of speech much better. This time through we will diagram as well. We've always done Shurley. This was a pleasant change! My dd said it would make a fun birthday present :tongue_smilie: not kidding!

If you like HOD I would start Beyond straight up, as written this fall. Don't sweat it that you didn't finish LHFHG. IMHO, Beyond is a better guide anyway, and the year always feels better when you start something fresh instead of finishing up last year's leftovers. They are at good ages for Beyond. Also, the story time "box" has genre specific ideas - so you don't need to add DITHOR to it. And Beyond will include Bible stories and devotionals too - as well as cover your history and science. You can keep your math and LA choices without it being too much.

If you want a different Bible study - have you looked at Leading Little Ones to God? or maybe Christian Liberty Press workbooks? - Either one, but not both :)

We used BJU Science 1 at the beginning of this year. I think it is a very good choice, and you could easily combine all kids in either 1 or 2. It is very expensive ($100), though, especially if you buy the kit to go along with it (which I would highly recommend if you don't want to be caught without lab supplies, $25). I thought I would use it for the entire year, but when I bought BFSU, I immediately fell in love and dove in. You could easily combine your kids for that, as well. It is much cheaper (less than $30) and uses things around the house for labs.