Menu

homeschooling in North Carolina,

You must have a high school diploma and file with the state when your child is seven. You must maintain an attendance record for each child (180 days of school is required per year) and do a standardized test each year. That's it!

You must have a high school diploma and file with the state when your child is seven. You must maintain an attendance record for each child (180 days of school is required per year) and do a standardized test each year. That's it!

Will I need to send an attendance report each month, and at the end of the year send them the test results? (This is how it is in Ga, I believe)

Thanks so much

Will I need to send an attendance report each month, and at the end of the year send them the test results? (This is how it is in Ga, I believe)

Thanks so much

You are not required by law to send in the attendance report at all, you are only required to have it on file. Most people send in test results, but it's actually only required for you to send proof that you have tested them.

You are not required by law to send in the attendance report at all, you are only required to have it on file. Most people send in test results, but it's actually only required for you to send proof that you have tested them.

Slight correction...in terms of the legalities, it's not "required" to send test scores in. Nothing needs to be sent in. :D

Slight correction...in terms of the legalities, it's not "required" to send test scores in. Nothing needs to be sent in. :D

Are you talking about in NC? I am in NC, and this year I got a gray card requiring me to send in copies of attendance forms and test scores. The other option was to meet with a rep from the NC Department of Non-Public Education. I am sending in the info.

I agree that it's not required, that's what I was trying to say. I did think you were required to show proof that you had tested them, unless you opted for a home visit.

Are you talking about in NC? I am in NC, and this year I got a gray card requiring me to send in copies of attendance forms and test scores. The other option was to meet with a rep from the NC Department of Non-Public Education. I am sending in the info.

They have no legal basis for requesting attendance forms.

http://www.hslda.org/hs/state/nc/200711010.asp

State law does not authorize DNPE to conduct such meetings or require homeschooling families to participate in such meetings. Further, state law only authorizes DNPE to inspect standardized test records, not attendance and immunization records. Parents must maintain attendance and immunization records, but they are not subject to routine inspection.

What does the law require you to do? Sections 115C-549 and 115C-557 of the General Statutes of North Carolina state that for one year after the standardized testing, the records must be made available for annual inspection at the principal office of the school at all reasonable times. This means that a DNPE official may come to your home, but not enter your home, to inspect the test results. Home School Legal Defense Association recommends that any such inspection be done on the front porch, not inside your home.

http://www.hslda.org/laws/analysis/North_Carolina.pdf

Thanks for pointing that out. I seriously didn't really question it. I checked the box that said I would send in the forms. What do you think would happen if I didn't?

So far, nothing. :) I used to send the little card in every year and then send in the copies of tests and attendance every summer. The last two years I have just not responded to the gray card.

They may eventually send something asking to meet with me, and if they do I'm willing to have them come here and look at my file folder with the info in it.

I used to be of the mindset that said "They don't ask much from us, let's comply as much as we can even though it's going beyond the law." The closer I get to turning 50, the more...umm...curmudgeonly...I get about stuff like this.

No, I don't really begrudge them the test scores or the attendance. I don't hate the hard-working people at DNPE, and I'm not doing this to make waves. I'm just following the law of the state of NC.

I have homeschooled in NC for 4 years. I have never sent anything in, ever :)

I have received the little grey card as well. Haven't ever sent anything in.

You have to keep on file:

Attendence Record

Standardized Testing (on file for 1 year, must be done every year)

Immunization Record or Exemption

That is it!

:)

(180 days of school is required per year)

NC doesn't require 180 days. The law states:

Required Days of Instruction: At least nine calendar months of the year, excluding reasonable holidays and vacations.

However they recommend 180 days...along with a lot of other recommendations that are outside of their legal authority.

NC doesn't require 180 days. The law states:

However they recommend 180 days...along with a lot of other recommendations that are outside of their legal authority.

Dang, I am not doing a good job here tonight, lol. I meant to say that they recommend 180 days. I have so much on my mind that I can't think straight. Thanks for pointing that out!

You gotta love all those "recommendations"!

Yes, Nakia, we've been in NC for 20 years and entering 7th year h'schooling. You know this is the FIRST year I have not rec'd a card. Don't understand why. The "words" are important and sometimes misleading.

I agree that it's not required, that's what I was trying to say. I did think you were required to show proof that you had tested them, unless you opted for a home visit.

OK, I need to read more carefully and with my glasses :D:D

Again, things may have changed, BUT you MUST have on hand/in your house structure "literally"...

1. Proof of immunizations (but people can still opt out, so it's "really" not required as they say

2. Have a schedule/attendance

3. Administer an annual test to be kept 1 year

4. Notify when closing.

So, in our home we have current for this next year 2010-2011 a copy of:

1. Attendance sheet waiting to be filled in

2. Copy of her current shots

3. Copy of her W/J which was just this week

These don't need to be mailed in, but they need to be in your home in the event a rep comes a'knockin, but that's not likely to happen.

Again, I did not receive the card this year, so things may have changed.

Yes, Nakia, we've been in NC for 20 years and entering 7th year h'schooling. You know this is the FIRST year I have not rec'd a card. Don't understand why. The "words" are important and sometimes misleading.

OK, I need to read more carefully and with my glasses :D:D

Again, things may have changed, BUT you MUST have on hand/in your house structure "literally"...

1. Proof of immunizations (but people can still opt out, so it's "really" not required as they say

2. Have a schedule/attendance

3. Administer an annual test to be kept 1 year

4. Notify when closing.

So, in our home we have current for this next year 2010-2011 a copy of:

1. Attendance sheet waiting to be filled in

2. Copy of her current shots

3. Copy of her W/J which was just this week

These don't need to be mailed in, but they need to be in your home in the event a rep comes a'knockin, but that's not likely to happen.

Again, I did not receive the card this year, so things may have changed.

You are correct, my argument was only that those things did not need to be mailed in, according to the law. :)