Menu

We're visiting San Fran -- any books to prep my kids for what they'll see?

We don't go to SF until August and I'd love to start teaching them now about San Francisco.

For example, I know that the Magic Tree House does a book on the great quake. I'll get that book.

Any other suggestions of fiction and non-fiction would be great!!!!!

Thank you!

Alley

I don't know of books to recommend, but based on my trip out there last fall, I'd suggest you look into or discuss a few topics:

John Muir (Muir Woods is just north of town)

International shipping (the cargo ships are amazingly prevelant. If you can, go across to Oakland and see the seaport - should be very popular for small boys.)

Homelessness/mental illness (I was expecting g*y issues everywhere, and was surprised that it really wasn't. I was totally stunned by the homeless/mentally ill who were everywhere. I think you'd want to prepare a 7-year-old.)

Chinese immigrants (it's not just Chinatown - you see people of Chinese descent everywhere)

Biomes (are they still called that? different environmental areas, anyway. Just driving down by the beach, seeing the sea grasses... way different for this Kansas girl)

Look up the history of the cable car system... fascinating story of how it started because one man saw a horse fall & be killed, and he decided to do something about it...)

Bring a sweater. Seriously. It's almost always cold compared to where you are coming from, unless you are going there from perhaps, Daly City...(next town over) :D

There are people who make a very good living selling sweatshirts to the tourists who aren't prepared for the coolness of the evenings.

http://www.sfmta.com/cms/mfares/passports.htm

The above link is for what is called, a Passport. It enables you to use the cable cars, busses, and trolleys unlimited for one price. I highly recommend using ALL of the public transportation that is available. You can also use your cell phone to call (I think it's 311) and the operator can tell you exactly which bus to take to get you where you want to go. It was perfect when I got lost in China Town one time :D.

The cable cars also has a FREE musuem where it shows the big gears that pulls the cables through out the city. Very cool for the kids. So ride a cable car and see the musuem.

Books....really didn't suggest any books did I? Well, how about books on cable cars and public transportation?

Have a blast!! We always do.

Public transportation is very very complete there--I think that you can get with 2-3 blocks of anywhere in the City by bus or streetcar or light rail or cable car. Definitely ride the cable cars, and if you can, visit the cable car museum and the turn around at Hyde Street by Fishermen's Wharf.

Locals eat seafood at Scoma's--it's classic.

Be careful of your surroundings. There are some really bad neighborhoods just a block or two from really nice ones.

It tends to be quite windy in the summer, and the wind tends to be quite cold. Bring layers with you at all times.

The Mission in San Francisco is not one of the better ones to see. I would not bother with it. The best ones for touring around there are in San Juan Bautista, which is about 90 minutes away, and maybe Sonoma, which is quite a ways north.

Maybelle the Cable Car by Virginia Lee Burton (author of Mike Mulligan & his Steam Shovel)

The Cable Car and the Dragon by Herb Caen

This is San Francisco by Miroslav Sasek

Pop's Bridge by Eve Bunting

San Francisco's Famous Sea Lions by Kat Shehata

St. Francis in San Francisco by Jack Wintz

The Earth Dragon Awakes: The San Francisco Earthquake of 1906 by Laurence Yep (chapter book)

Familiarize yourselves with Ghirardelli chocolates so it won't be such a shock. This is best started soon as you only have a few more weeks to prepare. :lol:

Reading ... hmmm ...

I also highly recommend the unlimited travel pass - go on the cable cars often! They're a blast. Don't worry if you can't get a seat - it's way more fun to hang on anyway. :D

San Francisco has survived some epic earthquakes and fires. Read up on the Victorian Era and the Gold Rush.

Several things are on the ASTC Passport program, so be sure to check if you have a reciprocal membership to anything local. Because of our membership we got into the Exploratorium for free, and it would have cost our family $40.00 ($15/adult, $10/kid age 4+). By the by, if you DON'T have a membership, you can buy a $50 membership to Explorit (explorit.org) in Davis, CA online so you might weigh whether or not that will save you some money :D

Speaking of which, the Exploratorium is a blast. The National Maritime Museum down on the Embarcadero is pretty cool. The tour to Alcatraz is fun, but very expensive! Oh and don't bother with the Aquarium at Fisherman's Wharf--it's way overpriced and boring. In fact if you have the time and means, I highly suggest driving a couple of hours to the Monterrey Bay Aquarium instead.

And ditto what everyone else said about using the public transport. The passes that allow you to jump on and off at will will more than pay for themselves when you add up what you'd spend on parking in the city (not to mention the frustration at trying to FIND parking in the city).

Edited by LemonPie