Menu

Help...please!! VP vs.sonlight (long..sorry)

kbed0849

Okay, I have been debating curriculum for WAY too long. In fact, I currently own almost every option that I am debating just because I had to see it to think it over. So, here it is...

I have a ds 6.5 (he is able to read Sonlight level 2 int. readers), DD 5.5 (able to read SL level 2 advanced readers) . We are currently doing RS math B.

I have not moved forward with History/Bible because I keep changing my mind. I have used the excuse that I am laying the groundwork of phonics and math. But, now it is time to add everything else. Any help/opinions would be MORE than appreciated.

I am debating between VP (history and bible and lit) , Sonlight Core 1 with advanced 2 readers. I definitely prefer the more biblical based classical history that VP seems to offer. I just need the structure of SL. I have attempted to merge SOW with VP history cards because I found a list somewhere in virtual world that showed how they correspond. I like the SOW layout compared to VP TG. So, my question is , has anyone used VP as their core. If so, did you like it?? Has anyone ordered the lesson plans from them. I would not be using their math suggestion. And I am debating if we need Shurley grammar. We are currently using FLL and WWE. Do we need Shurley grammar or is FLL enough? Oh, and what about IEW... can that wait??? I am drawn to VP just terrified that we wont progress without a written out daily plan since I have 2 preschoolers as well.

Also, I can't tell what VP comp guides are like compared to the reader and reader comp TG from SL. So, has anyone out there used these??

Thanks for bearing with me.. lots of questions... we were pretty laid back last year and I need to be organized and accomplish more now that we are technically in the first grade. I know many will say..first grade...relax. But, I feel I am being called to step up and organize. So, those who have experience with these programs please let me know if you have advice/wisdom!! Thanks, Kim

Sorry to ramble

Well, the major difference between SL and VP (with their lesson plans) are that VP has worksheets for history, bible and reading comprehension. SL includes discussion questions that are meant to be done orally. SL's LA is Ruth Beechick based with copywork and dictation, but IMHO it's not as well organized as FLL/WWE or VP's materials. VP will probably end up costing more if you want their daily lesson plans, because you have to buy both the plans and the comprehension, history and bible guides. If you are willing to do a bit more planning, it's easy to follow the weekly plan in the history and bible guides and the reading comprehension guides stand alone. Another option is to use the SOTW guides alone. They are very easy to plan with a nice list of supplemental readings for each chapter and oral narration questions.

I love VP's reading comprehension guides, but honestly they don't have much religious content. In fact I haven't found anything in First Favorites and didn't see anything in Milly Molly Mandy or Pinocchio. Actually, I could sort of say the same for VP's bible stuff, too. It's almost purely comprehension questions that don't really imply belief. It's not a religious ed curriculum, it's a bible as literature curriculum. Sorry, that's probably clear as mud.

If you are planning on continuing with SL and doing Core 2 then you might want to leave 2 Advanced Readers for Core 2, otherwise your readers won't line up. I have a very advanced reader who went through Readers Regular and Intermediate with Core 1, she will do 2 Advanced with Core 2, (which are considered 3rd-5th grade level). I actually went on Amazon and bought some more readers to tide her over. Then beginning in Core 3 the readers coordinate with the history.

I know nothing about VP so I can't help there at all. :)

I used VP quite a few years ago with ds1--he was 6 at the time. We went through OT/AE and NT/G/R that first year. I only used their history program. We read the card and did a short narration. Sometimes we'd read from another resource listed on the card. I chose read-alouds from their catalog. I just asked comprehension questions after that day's reading, then the next day I'd ask them what they remembered of the story so far. More recently I bought VP's comp guide for From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs Basil E Frankweiler. It was ok. Recall questions, logic puzzles, and an artist game to help you become familiar with the styles of several artists. I think I was expecting something with a little lit analysis included.

I liked the way VP integrated Bible history and other world history. That first year worked well for us. But with MA/R/R--I was a little frustrated that it spent so much time on historical church figures. I didn't think it was necessary for my ds to know every figure of every church movement over the last few centuries. YMMV.

For Bible we read The Child's Story Bible by Vos. For language arts we did Abeka phonics--FLL wasn't out yet. But I did use FLL with ds2 and it's definitely enough, along with a phonics program. I didn't do writing other than handwriting practice and short narrations.

Cinder

You would get more out of VP if you use the Scholars program. I love VP. I like its simplicity, the book suggestions, the cards. We do the questions orally. There is a neat map to use with Ancient Egypt. IT's at the end of the teacher's manual. But the year we used Scholars was the best. :)

Guest jettlich

I too have been debating what to use for history next year. I have come to the conclusion that it really depends on two things: a) what is your philosophy for evaluating your child's understanding & comprehension (i.e., discussion, narration, etc. versus tests & comprehension worksheets), and b) how much do you want world history and church history integrated or separated?

I used Tapestry of Grace last year w/ my kids (oldest will be in 2nd grade next year) and it was a wonderful combining of ancient and Biblical histories. However, very overwhelming in its planning attention and much of the info is geared toward higher grades, so one has a lot to sort through.

I bought VP Middle Ages/Ren/Ref, w/ the intent of looking at it and keeping it or returning it. It is very dry, IF your philosophy (as stated above) is more Charlotte Mason in terms of narration, "living books," exploration, etc. (which is what we tend toward). VP material is made for a traditional (albeit classical) school setting, so it's lots of worksheets, tests, emphasis of reading from textbooks, etc. At least for our family, I know this will deaden the spirit of natural curiosity in my kids. And I agree w/ the prior posting that it's great that it has so much church history, but almost at the cost of giving up a LOT of other important world history. We won't be using VP.

SL is great, but it doesn't give you much freedom at all to veer from the schedule. Maybe that's what you want though. They are not classical in educational philosophy but a good, reputable company.

So, what are we going to use? Well, as discovered last year, my kids absolutely LOVE the flow and narrative of the Story of the World 1 CD's. So I just bought year 2 of SOTW (activity book & book). We buy the audio CD's and reinforce the learning in the car, and them independently during quiet/nap times by listening in their rooms. My only complaint is it's sparse on church history emphasis. However, it is SO well written, SO well organized and SO nicely, appropriately written for young grammar/elementary kids, that it's hard to pass up. My kids have actually begged to do SOTW next year, simply based on having heard the CD's of SOTW year-1 this year (as a supplement to TOG). So, we have decided to use this, and to add Trial and Triumph in addition to the "History Lives" series to read to our kids in an exciting, "living way" about corresponding church history.

I've used both. I've used VP more extensively than SL. They are night and day. It really depends on what you are expecting out of them as to which you would prefer. At this point in time I don't prefer either. :001_smile:

I'm going to use SOTW with my 1st and 3rd graders this year.

As far as lit guides go...I was expecting more lit analysis from both VP and SL and was let down with both of them. Then I realized that for early grammar stage that was probably a bit of a ridiculous expectation. If you feel the need to ask comprehension type questions either orally or in worksheet format I would go with the VP guides. I was severely disappointed in SL's questions. And there were several books scheduled that didn't even have questions listed.