Menu

"American" gifts for exchange students?

We are hosting a Japanese exchange student. She's wonderful and has made friends from many different countries. Often when we invite them to dinner, they bring a small gift for us, something from their country. Usually when we host students for the day or a weekend, they bring us a litle something too.

I'd love to have something to give them to reciprocate, but I'm not feeling very creative. I can't think of anything! It should be small(ish) because many times there isn't much extra room in their luggage when they return home, inexpensive, and not too cheesy. LOL. (I know I don't have to do this, as we are providing a meal, but it would be nice to have something on hand.)

Ideas?

Cat

Nothing too sweet (Japanese don't tend to have a sweet tooth like we do).

Something regional? Like a corn-husk doll or decorated tea-towel? (We always had such a hard time coming up with things to give as gifts to our Japanese friends because they have so many things that we have.)

I got it! A picture of your family. Really - they would love that. You could put it in a small frame.

We bought some small, flat magnets for dd to take with her for her host family/friends/teachers (she didnt want to go empty handed and the school recommended to save the "big" present until after you knew your family). We ultimately decided on those because they were light, inexpensive and could be thrown on the refrigerator to forever remember our state:tongue_smilie:

Generic Ideas:

-Small American flags or State flags

-a state button or pin

-small statue/replica of something specific to where you live (mini-statue of liberty, small St. Louis Arch, Grand Canyon snow globe, etc.)

-short picture book by local author about something local

What I would do because I'm a little type A:

If you're really quick and creative, you could take pics of the dinner (arrival, introductions, before dinner, dinner, after dinner, etc.) and slip away long enough to your computer to make and print them a really cool photo booklet to remember the evening with your family

If you already had a template design in mind, it would be easy to just throw the pics in and print. A handy older child might be able to help make something like this happen.

Try to find out any fun American foods that they don't have at home. For example, when I was an exchange student to Japan 25 years ago, the Japanese didn't have peanut butter or popcorn. Guess what I took with me to give to people? :D They loved it.

I also took coffee mugs with my home state info on it, small framed maps of the US with a star on our home (I actually designed a cross-stitch on graph paper of the US and made that for my host family, embroidering on a red star on my home location), linen dish towels with regional things on them (for parents), refrigerator magnets, coloring books & crayons for little ones, and chewing gum.

Who knows what they have and don't have in Japan now.

You're very thoughtful to do this for them. :001_smile: