Menu

It happened again. . .and my DDs aren't British!

Once again, as a stranger talked to my DDs, they got the impression that my DDs were British. This has happened a number of times over the years. This most recent incident was at a furniture store as they told a salesman what we were looking for.

We live in East Tennessee; the girls were both born here. DH grew up in North Carolina but has no Southern drawl that I can detect, and I grew up in South Dakota.

I've never been mistaken as being British and neither has DH. Why would my DDs get that assumption over and over again?

It doesn't bother me except that I want to know WHY!

Any theories will be entertained. :lol:

Pegasus

My dd always preferred British pronunciation for words like "again" and "been". She was an early reader, and she would sound out words phonetically. Then, she'd argue with me when I tried to get her to say those words the "American" way. :)

Me, for "again": "We usually say "a-GEN". Dd: "but a-i makes the /A/ sound."

Anyway, do your girls pronounce certain words in a British way?

My eldest will take on whatever book she is reading's accent. (How is that for a strangely worded sentence?) After going through all of the Wardrobe books, even I thought she might be British!:lol:

I do that! Accent and vocabulary. I have to watch myself when I've been on a Jane Austen kick. :tongue_smilie:

ITA with Geek--and I'd add vocabulary to grammar and enunciation. If they sound "proper" and use formal-sounding or unusual words they might come across as British.

LOL! I have no theories, but I think it's awesome. When Indy was little and I let him watch a little tv, the only kids shows we got were British (Noddy, Thomas-narrated by Ringo Starr, Fireman Sam). He was just learning to talk, so he picked up the accent. When we moved back to America everyone thought he was British. His K teacher even thought he had a speech impediment (heaven forbid a kid actually enunciate). He's almost 8 now and while most of the accent is gone, he still says a few words with an accent.

I'd put it down to the fact that they speak well and probably choose good vocab. I think my DD could pass as British too because she will say things like 'can we bathe at the sea-side?' where a normal kid would say 'can we go for a swim at the beach?' It isn't necessarily accent but choice of words IMO.