Menu

Ok, what do I do with these giant laminated maps?

funschooler5

I bought the whole set of these blank maps from Knowlege Quest last year (actually I bought two and ended up selling one set), and I still haven't been able to think of anything fun to do with them. I have every continent, plus a blank US one. Are there any special activities we can do with them? Do I have my kids label the countries and states periodically? They play an online game that gives them a lot of practice with that. Should we use them with their history lessons, and have them trace boundaries and rivers? I don't know...I thought my kids would find them interesting, but they just don't. It seems like there should be something fun we can do with them!

P.S. I'm going through stuff and I'm trying to decide if I should toss them into the used curriculum sale pile or not. :tongue_smilie:

How about drawing stuff in with dry erase markers for geography? Just get a bunch of different fun colored markers and let 'em rip! You could also add labels for places you have visited, places where friends and family live, etc. If you're comfortable with putting holes in it, you could put pins in locations too and have a string coming off connected to some writing one of your children has done on it.

Do I have my kids label the countries and states periodically? They play an online game that gives them a lot of practice with that.

Sorry I can't help with mapping activities for your maps, but I was wondering what online game you are using for geography?

Thanks!

When I can make the maps work I use them for demonstrating the SOTW maps. Then it's nice and big and the kids can all see it. When I can't find a good map I just do my own smaller SOTW map.

When we get to US History I'll have them practice filling in the states as we study them.

Also... I store them under the sofa to keep them out of the way....

You could tape it to a piece of foam board or cork, print off a page of flags - like this http://www.linariadesigns.com/collections/world_flags_thumbnails5.jpg (Google 'flags of the world'), cut and tape the flags to some pins and have your child pin each flag to the country. Like this: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_LxLfmghofGc/SqNG9hPRBjI/AAAAAAAAAMQ/dmepdHFSmiU/s400/CIMG9999.JPG

Or you could give them a dry erase marker and call out the name of a place and have your child draw the route on the map. (i.e., You're starting here in Seattle, first fly to Tokyo, Japan, now to Shanghai, China, now follow the Yangtze river to etc...

Dry erase markers are cool. I remember doing an activity with my gumnut guides (daisy scouts) where we coloured in every country that had a guiding presence with a black marker. They were most impressed at how much of the world that was. If you have a historical atlas, you could transfer over to the world map for a larger look.

Rosie

Edited by Rosie_0801

Sorry I can't help with mapping activities for your maps, but I was wondering what online game you are using for geography?

Thanks!

They play Geochallenge on Facebook. It's the best online geography game I've seen. The World Tour version is free, and the U.S. and Europe versions are $6/pc I think. I ended up buying them all, but the free one is actually the best (and most fun) version.

None of my kids have Facebook accounts, btw. My husband made a profile for our dog awhile back, so they just play on hers. :lol:

Also... I store them under the sofa to keep them out of the way....

If you need a better way to store them, take them to a gaming store. Many gaming stores will cut maps up into squares and laminate them in such a way that they can be neatly folded.

Ooh, thanks for these storage ideas! That's my main problem...it's awkward storing them rolled up. I'm definitely looking into these.

Thanks everyone for your activity ideas! This helps me a lot.:001_smile: