Menu

EASY schedule making...what are my options?

thundersweet

I am thinking I may need to actually schedule curriculum this year as opposed to flying by the seat of my pants. I have a new baby in the house plus my soon to be 6yo will have more to do. In the past with dd (9), we just did the next thing. We are using SL core 3 this fall so history/read alouds/readers are all scheduled out for me. I am planning to add in some easier books though so ds can join in history as well. I want to keep them together. I could just add this in my SL schedule I guess.

What else is out there besides HST? I want something really easy. I wonder if maybe I should just write out a week/month worth of plans for both kids in a journal. Maybe that would be the easiest??? What type of planners/journals are the best? I would want one with plenty of room. I have lots of extras I want to get done this year and I'm afraid I'll forget if I don't write it down.

Thanks,

Sandy

Since Sonlight has it planned for you, you might be best off just building on the structure that is already there. (I don't know, because I've never used Sonlight, so I can't give you any specific recommendations on this). But in case you decide to go this route, I wanted to point out a really easy-to-use online planner/tracker that I use: http://www.myhomeschoolplan.com Let me know if you want any more details about it.

I got each of my kids one of these planners. If you click on the version you would like, it brings up the products. When you click on the Elementary Student planner, there is a sample of the student weekly pages further down on the page. I preferred the elementary pages to the jr/sr high pages.

For my own planner I resorted to designing my own. I could never find what I really wanted. I tried HST for a while, but I really didn't care for it.

I don't know how to post documents to the messages. If you pm me your email address, I could email my 2 page weekly spread as well as my semester planner.

I've tried HST but it's just more trouble than it's worth. Maybe for high school it will be better.

I just use a typical planbook, I've used the Homeschooler's Journal in the past which is nice, but just today I was Target and they had teacher's plan books in the $1 bin.

I just make a chart for my oldest with a column for each day of the week and a row for each subject. There is an x on the days when she doesn't have to do that subject. I add a row if we add a subject. It also gives her the opportunity to work ahead, which she sometimes does.

I make my own planners in Word, after having tried many premade ones. I just build a table and fill it in.

However, looking at how other people plan with programs, and how people structure their days too, really helped me a lot over the years.

I love planning. Its the implementing that gets messy. It all looks so good on paper.

I am using the Full-Year-Notebook system.

It includes a yearly/monthly/weekly page. So you can plan out your year to help keep you on track. There are also a few other tracker items included. Reading, field trips, outside classes. So it's pretty good :) I have been slowly breaking things down with there plotting the year. I'll be ready for grade 2 :) and plotting some of the extras for the grade 6 and 8. It's a pdf, so I just print out what I need. I like a paper version so I can have it where ever. Not completely dependent on the computer.