Menu

s/o dieting thread: Is it okay to ask about people's diets?

If you know someone is dieting, or has considered it, do you think it's okay to ask how it's going? In light of the other thread, I'm wondering if this could be considered rude, instead of caring. What do you think?

If you know someone is dieting, or has considered it, do you think it's okay to ask how it's going? In light of the other thread, I'm wondering if this could be considered rude, instead of caring. What do you think?

A very close friend, in private, sure.

In public? No way.

With mixed company? No way.

When she is obviously stress-eating a large banana split? Uh, I'd rethink it unless I was close to an exit.

A close friend, sure.

A casual friend or acquaintance I would give a compliment (privately), "I've noticed that you've been looking really good/fit lately!" I would not ask specific questions about diet unless they brought it up first.

Now, if someone is blabbing on about their latest go at South Beach/Eat to Live/The Snickers Challenge then I think it's fair game to ask a few questions.

Unless someone was particularly unhealthy from being overweight, or they talk about it a lot....I really prefer not to put attention on weight gain OR loss. I think we women can get a little obsessive about our weights.

There are circumstances under which I would say somethnig, and I dont always live up to my own ideals, but I try not to make it an issue at all.

If the diet they were doing was interesting to me, I might specifically ask about that, though- as a naturopath I am allowed to be quirky about that sort of thing, and have an opinion :) but I try not to make a big deal about the weight loss.

In the end, weight lost is often weight later gained, unless real changes are made in lifestlye.

Well, do you count something like, "Wow, you look great! What have you been doing to have lost so much weight and look so healthy?!!!"

I hope that wasn't rude. Or I might have to go apologize to my neighbor. :001_huh:

I do this all the time! I recently lost the last 10 pounds of baby fat and LOVED it when people noticed and asked what I was doing.