Menu

So is albuterol for emergency only or for preventing exercise-induced asthma?

I always thought it was for emergencies. But I am new to this:confused:

Dd's pediatrician says to take it 20 minutes before exercise, every time, to prevent getting her exercise induced asthma. My niece (who is my age) says this is what her doctor says too.

I just feel weird that if she exercises every day, she has to take her inhaler every day?

They didn't give us anything else to do to manage it. I guess that's because it's strictly exercise-induced, not allergy related or anything like that.

That seems like good advice to me. I know it seems frustrating that she'll have to use it daily, but maintenance drugs don't really work for asthma that only flares up during exercise.

Does she experience side effects that trouble you?

Dd's pediatrician says to take it 20 minutes before exercise, every time, to prevent getting her exercise induced asthma. My niece (who is my age) says this is what her doctor says too.

I just feel weird that if she exercises every day, she has to take her inhaler every day?

They didn't give us anything else to do to manage it. I guess that's because it's strictly exercise-induced, not allergy related or anything like that.

Yes, this is a common use for albuterol. It opens the airways. Some people only need it in a crisis. Others, need a small dose to prevent going into crisis. A small dose before exercise is very common and is a good use of the medication. It will open the airways for just when the patient needs it as it wears off in 4ish hours. If the person still ends up in a crisis the doctor may recommend another inhalation prior to 4 hours, but it is not what is usually needed if it is only for exercise induced asthma.

I have my allergy-induced-asthma kid use his before going *outside* in spring and fall. My logic is that it's better for him to use it *then* and actually be able to *inhale* the meds, than to wait until he can't even take a proper deep breath. He does MUCH better that way and uses it far less often.

Albuterol is a short-acting bronchodilator to relax airway muscles to provide prompt relief of symptoms or to be used prior to EIB (exercise-induced bronchospasms). It is a very common medication, not only for emergencies.We fill plenty of RXs for this on a daily basis. I would give it to her as directed by the Dr.

You mentioned they didn't give you anything else to manage her condition. Sometimes Albuterol is all you need, however I would probably follow up with her PCP to just make sure she doesn't need any other meds to manage her condition. There are many patients who use other drugs in combo. with Albuterol to prevent or reduce the frequency of attacks (e.g. Singulair, Advair, Pulmicort, etc.)

HTH,:)

Okay, I guess that is normal then! I realize now I was wondering about the preventatives that some here mentioned-advair, etc. I don't know anything about them but I vaguely knew of other people with asthma doing something other than just albuterol, and that must have been what it was. Her pediatrician has always been good and I'm sure she would have mentioned if she needed any of those so I won't worry about it!

I'm relieved to know this is the common thing for ex.-induced. She has no side-effects, etc. I just wanted to make sure we weren't over-using it or using it improperly, if it was just meant for emergencies. Looks like we've been on the right track, thanks!

I use my albuterol inhaler before I do aerobic exercise. For me, it's either use it before to prevent problems and get a decent workout, or stop exercising after the first 10 minutes or so of anything activity, use it then, and then wait another 15-20 minutes before starting up again--which seems a little counterproductive and isn't much fun. Either way, I know I'm going to need it if I exercise and I'd rather take it beforehand and not even get to that scary wheezy place where it seems there's not enough oxygen in the whole world to make the little floaty black dots go away. I can't do aerobic exercise and NOT need it, though, my body just doesn't function that way. I find that it's healthier for me to use the inhaler and get the exercise than to do without exercise in order to avoid the albuterol.

My plan (which I don't follow as often as I'd like yet) is to cycle through a day with aerobic exercise, a day of stretches (like yoga), and a day with weights or resistance bands. I generally only need the albuterol on the aerobic days. I don't know if the same would be true for your dd.