Menu

Help! Son spilled tea on a brand new pair of sweatpants.

They were expensive, and the stain is right on the crotch of the pants. I've used Spray 'n' Wash, and scrubbed them with detergent twice; the stain has not come out. They are off-white, so I'm afraid to bleach them. Can anyone suggest something to remove a tea stain? He'll never be able to wear them out if I can't remove it because it looks like he had an accident, iykwim. Tia!

I found similar information on two extention websites....sounds like it is time for bleach.

Tannin Stains

Do not use soap (bar, flake). Use detergents.

Alcoholic beverages

Beer

Berries (cranberries, raspberries, strawberries)

Coffee

Cologne

Felt-tip water color pen or washable ink

Fruit juice (apple, grape, orange)

Soft drinks

Tea

Tomato juice

Fresh tannin stains are usually removed by detergent (not soap) washing in hot water (as safe for fabric) during laundering without any treatment. Use of soap (bar soap, soap flakes, or detergents containing natural soap) will make a tannin stain permanent or at least more difficult to remove. Be sure to check the ingredients list of your detergent for soap. More brands now include it for economic reasons. Old tannin stains may need bleaching for more complete removal.

I know I said to use Biz earlier and then I just found these instructions on a website:

Use any brand stain stick on the stained area. Let this sit for ten minutes.

Apply clear bleach free liquid detergent on the stained area and rub in with your fingers. Use a scrub brush if needed.

Hand wash in the hottest water possible for the type of fabric that you are washing and let air-dry.

If you find that you still have a stain remaining from the tea, use a half-cup of vinegar and a cup of hot water, pour this over the stain and let it sit for about half an hour.

Rinse with hot water and let air dry.

If you find that the tough tea stain still remains in the fabric, use bleach or color safe bleach if the fabric instructions allow you and soak the material and then rinse with hot water and air dry. Repeat as needed to lighten the stain before drying in the dyer.