Menu

Can Someone Explain EPGY to Me?

AuntPol

We enrolled my rising 5th grader in EPGY through open enrollment. He started the class. There was a race car thing and then some questions and they will do 3-5 questions in one topic and then move to another topic and then back? The only instruction is to click on lecture which is a short review but not explanation. So far it's been review for my child except for atomic/molecular. Is this a placement test? Is there a natural ending point? We had to quit after 30 minutes to go somewhere and it was still doing the same thing.

Dd has done EPGY about 5 or 6 times now and this sounds like our experience. It does questions on a few topics and, so far, hasn't moved on much. It does end the session after about 20 minutes, I'm not sure if it's time based or amount of work based, though. Dd is starting 2nd grade, so it would probably be less time.

We enrolled my rising 5th grader in EPGY through open enrollment. He started the class. There was a race car thing and then some questions and they will do 3-5 questions in one topic and then move to another topic and then back? The only instruction is to click on lecture which is a short review but not explanation. So far it's been review for my child except for atomic/molecular. Is this a placement test? Is there a natural ending point? We had to quit after 30 minutes to go somewhere and it was still doing the same thing.

Feel free to PM or email me and I will look at your child's account, just forward the student name. There is no placement test but the class level and amount of instruction can be adjusted. Without looking at the individual settings I can't help much. :)

Your lessons should start with math races unless you opt not to do them.

Dd has done EPGY about 5 or 6 times now and this sounds like our experience. It does questions on a few topics and, so far, hasn't moved on much. It does end the session after about 20 minutes, I'm not sure if it's time based or amount of work based, though. Dd is starting 2nd grade, so it would probably be less time.

The default setting is 20 minutes and can be adjusted. Please email me if you would like the settings adjusted.

The parent manuals are also located on the yahoo group in the files section for anyone who hasn't found them.

• 3 months later...

Can I ask is the EPGY gifted program that you have to test into the exact same material as the open enrollment? How did you gain access to the open enrollment classes without having 8 students together as it states? I am considering this as a supplement to MM for dd9 and ds7 and wondered if the open enrollment was also the gifted program. Thanks so much for any help.

Can I ask is the EPGY gifted program that you have to test into the exact same material as the open enrollment? How did you gain access to the open enrollment classes without having 8 students together as it states? I am considering this as a supplement to MM for dd9 and ds7 and wondered if the open enrollment was also the gifted program. Thanks so much for any help.

I'll try to explain as much as I know (my kids are doing the individual open enrollment for math, after school). Someone please correct me if I go astray, as I am still new to this. There are currently three options for doing EPGY math:

(1) The expensive one that includes access to tutors and some sort of certification of completion. This is not open enrollment. It requires a pre-test.

(2) The Group Open Enrollment option that you read about. This is much cheaper (I think I read $135 for a year?). There is no pre-test, no access to tutors, and no official certification of completion. Search for melmichigan (Melissa)'s posts about a group she has kindly organized under this option.

(3) More recently they added the Individual Open Enrollment option, $45 per 3 months. Like the Group Open Enrollment, there is no pretest, no tutor access, and no official certification of completion. However, for some reason it's hard to find the right page for this. See the following link:

http://epgy.stanford.edu/openenroll/index.html

My understanding is that it is all the same material. HOWEVER, from reading posts here and there, it seems that there may be different settings for the speed with which one goes through the material - gifted or regular, I guess - and I don't see any option for changing that on the screen for the Individual Open Enrollment. I don't know which speed it is automatically set up for - I'm guessing regular. So maybe that's a disadvantage of the Individual Open Enrollment compared with Group - I don't know whether it's possible to change the speed settings in Individual OE. It is easy to change the grade level settings in Individual OE, by a half grade level at a time in either direction.

I haven't looked into whether there is any open enrollment option (either individual or group) for subjects other than math.