Menu

The CHALLENGE: HSing 4 kids under 7?

Sahmqui

I know it can be done. The challenge is, how do you pull it off.

~What do you do with the high energy, gets into everything, talkative, mobile 21 month old?

~the little ones want to do homework(workbook) too

~How do you teach math w/ manipulatives when the kids are on different levels

~How do you implement group curriculum when one is advance, one is just starting, and the others just want to hang out?

~:confused: etc...etc.

We have a plan that doesn't work, so looking forward to hearing what moms here do:bigear:

What we want to do:

2ndgr: singapore math 2a, spelling, silent reading, copywork,

KDer: singapore 1a, OPGTR, teach handwriting

PreK: Math Primer, Starfall, pre-writing exercrises

daycare: leapfrog magnet letters and numbers, shape sort, coloring

As a group:

Breakfast, lunch (w/ classical music; different composer each week via Ipod), Bible, Art, Read Out Loud, Yoga, (MW)Science, (TTh)Geography

Science is outside gardening, cloud watching, insect study, and bird watching; no curriculum (I'm not ready yet, but they are)

Geography is twice a week because our family is all over the global and we talk about.

How do you meet the challenge?

please excuse the grammar and my lack of spell check, my time is limited.

I wrote you a big, long and overly-detailed post, so you're probably going to think I'm a weirdo...:001_smile:

I have 4 kids ages 8, 7, 5 and 2. :D

For K, I actually do not combine the K-er with the older kids. My older two are really far above her level and there's probably not much they could do together. Also, K should only take about an hour out of your day. I usually do K during the 2 yro's nap - that might be a possibility for you. Oh, and teaching K is really fun. :) My 5 yro is always coming into the kitchen and asking to do "school".

As far as 2nd grade, your schedule looks great. Your approach to science is EXACTLY like ours. Do you want to do any Language Arts or Phonics for 2nd? This is what we are working on right now for 2nd grade (we school year-round):

McGuffey Readers (he has to stand and read the lesson aloud)

Writing with Ease (he has always been very weak in writing, but this has helped)

CLE LA 200's (workbook language arts program - punctuation, phonics rules, etc)

Hooked on Phonics 2nd grade (he's above this reading level, but I really want to review phonics rules with him - because he was a late bloomer with reading)

Horizons Math 2 (but you do Singapore and that's a great program too)

Sonlight Readers 2 intermediate (these are independent reading books)

Sonlight Core 2 Read-Alouds and History (these are basically bedtime stories :glare:)

BJU Spelling 2, a workbook on The 50 States, Snap Circuits, Prima Latina, Conversational German and I think that's pretty much it.

I think my 2nd grader is really weak on writing and handwriting. I posted this before, but at the beginning of last year, he still couldn't read and didn't know his letter sounds. I don't know what his deal was, but something finally clicked and he went through several reading levels in one school year. :tongue_smilie:

I see you're also doing composer studies - this is awesome. 8 yro does this. I have really neglected this area with the 2nd grader, though. I have also neglected Art and I feel bad about that too.

As far as the little kids- this is really a difficult one, isn't it? I buy those activity workbooks and have the 5 yro and 2 yro work/color on those while I work with the older kids. My 8 yro daughter will also set up a town of dollhouses/people/cars in the living room and the 5 and 2 yro will spend about an hour playing together (until a fight breaks out). In the middle of the day, I always set up a movie for the younger two and that will buy me about an hour (at the most). The 2 yro also takes a mega-nap around 11am and this is when I really get a lot of work done. I also invite the 5 yro and 2 yro to play with playdoh at the dinner table while I work with the older kids. My kids are pretty good with entertaining themselves and playing together. I think they get used to it. My 2 yro doesn't know any other lifestyle. :tongue_smilie:

As far as combining kids on different levels, I think it is harder to combine in the younger grades than it will be later. You just might not be able to combine them for a couple of years. Like I said, I would never combine my 8 yro with my K-er. My 8 yro operates on a 4th/5th grade level in a lot of subjects and there would just be no way to include a K-er in that. I do have the 8 yro tutor the K-er and 2nd grader sometimes. That could be an option for you.

Good luck! Remember that it takes 3 or 4 months to get into the swing of things. We also homeschool year-round, so we can take a week off here and there. I think the key to a large number of kids is getting everybody on a schedule - no schedule means horrible chaos and a lot of stress for us. You also need variety for that kind of situation. We've done school at the park, out in the backyard, at Grandma's house and at our friends' house (who also homeschool-if you can do this, this is awesome). Heck, one time we did school in the van, parked outside of a food pantry (where 8 yro was volunteering) :D.

Oh, darn its. I forgot to include the most important element in homeschooling:

COFFEE!! Lots and lots of coffee! :willy_nilly:

Isn't this a requirement for parenting young children in general whether hsing or not (says the woman impatiently waiting for the pot to finish brewing). :lol:

I'm eagerly watching this thread. We'll have hopefully have a 4th dc before my oldest is 7 and I'll be hs'ing 2 in earnest (2nd and K) with a 3yo and infant. FWIW, I'm not sure I'll be able to combine any of them except in science. I'm hoping that by the time my 3rd really should start history and science (1st grade), my oldest will be 10yo and working independently.

What's working now is that my 4yo does Singapore EM to his heart's content along with pattern blocks, mighty mind, and a salt box. He can do all of those things independently. If he were asking for more workbooks, I'd add in the ETC primers even though he's been reading for well over a year...but, he's not asking. My almost 2yo gets blank paper and crayons to play school when he wants, but is usually pacified by pattern blocks. He likes to separate them into piles by color. If he's being really distracting, I'll put on Leapfrog videos for him. In extreme cases, he goes down for an early nap.

Starrbuck12 - Thank you for the response. I thought from multiple kids that you should combine as many subject as possible. I just could not understand how this could be done and your post detailed exactly what I was thinking.

BTW - my coffee maker is set to brew automatically in the morning and the smell wakes me every morning. Just like a commercial :) LOL

The big challenge I always found was keeping the toddler busy during school. At times the older kids would get up first and get math done before baby was awake.

And don't forget CD's (in a different room, perhaps?) leap-pad, and the Baby Beethoven/ or is it Mozart? CD's and DVD's. We've also moved a step 2 playscape into a school room at one point where my then toddler first ds lived. He was either under it playing, or zooming toys down the slide. Worth it's weight in gold.

Sand table- again, we used this till it literally fell apart.

Colored rice or sand in deep bins, full of little cars or toddler safe toys.

It's a challenge, that is for sure. In total agreement on the coffee, though by the time ya'll are my age, your body will think it can't run without it!

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

ETA: I feel your struggle Mom! I haven't figured it out yet . . . this past year has been a disaster. I am literally terrified of the year to come. We are REALLY evaluating our plans, the curricula, what is ABSOLUTELY necessary. Our age spread is similar to yours but our dynamics are different. Each situation presents unique challenges . . . some littles LOVE to sit and color while others LOVE to play in the toilet or empty drawers (my kids!). Some are easy to train while others test every limit all the time! Some kids are reading early and well while others are not. Some kids need mom there for every.little.thing. while others take off with a little pre-flight training! I'll be watching this thread! We may be pitching all of our plans in the toilet for something very different than I'd envisioned! Some ideas that I like from these Moms include:

Coffee

The play scape in the house idea

A short video for the littles

Nap time for Mom (or was that for the 2-year-old?!)

Sonlight (We used Core 1 this past year. It has been the one thing that has gone well. It's not my long term plan but I might do it again. The kids love it and I don't have to plan anything. We read in the nooks and crannies of the day. It works! We can then focus Mom's teaching time on the skills that they need for later learning in 3rd or 4th grade and beyond.)

Edited by abrightmom

Guest rubilynne4

:iagree: i also have 4 younguns. last year they were 8, 5, 3, and 18 mo. they all did fine, but i def need more structure to my day this year. i will be schooling my 9, 6, and 4 with very active 2. consistency, shceduling, and combining as much as possible.

~How do you teach math w/ manipulatives when the kids are on different levels

Have you looked at Math-U-See. I let the videos do the "teaching" for the lesson (I listen too), then I can help/reinforce when needed. That might help take off some "teaching" time. We love Math-U-See. Then they can use the same manipulatives. Not sure if you were looking to change curriculum or not. I'm not trying to talk you into doing so. It may simlpify things a bit.

Katie

I do seat work type things during nap time. Works wonderfully. I had a hard time giving up my "free" time, but it is worth it.

Combining hasn't been difficult for me, but we are rather relaxed and unstructured. I used FIAR for two years, and it was perfect for my young group. Now I just include everyone in the non 3Rs stuff, and it works. At these ages, read alouds and hands-on seem to be the best medium for us. Everyone can participate and everyone can learn at their level.

That is the dilemma. How do you combine subjects for kids that are on different levels?

What are you combining?

I don't combine these items:

Math

Reading instruction

Handwriting

Writing

I include everyone with everything else, but we don't do seat work with anything else. We are very relaxed with science (well, with all the rest), and my olders each have their own nature notebooks. History I hit (or not) with read alouds. We listen to music and I read a couple coordinating biographies. Religion is usually together with read alouds, prayers, etc.

I have had to split the kids with read alouds now. My youngers love picture books, my 6yo wants chapter books, and my 8yo wants to read herself. It works. Whoever is around is included with whatever reading is happening if they want.

I feel your pain! I'm just gearing up to start out first year HSing, and am sooo nervous about juggling everyone! I have an almost 2 yr old, 3 yr old, 6 yr old and 8 yr old. Plus, throw in the fact that I have a very stubborn, strong-willed, spirited 6 yr old who did kindy at public school, and she believes that our school has to be exactly like public school was, complete with centers, student of the day, etc. I'm hoping that after summer break she'll get out of that mentality and realize that it doesn't have to be so strict.

Anyways, so I don't have much advice to offer, but here's my plan anyways:

I'm using McRuffy for LA, as it's very scripted and includes everything so there's not much planning involved on my end so it's a time saver.

I'm using MM for Math since it's very self-teaching as well. My older son is very independent, but I'll have to work more one on one with the 6 yr old.

I'm using SOTW for history for both. This way it saves time since I can combine them and the 8 yr old can go more in depth with the activities and the 6 yr old can listen (or not) and color.

I'm using Canada, My Country for Canadian Geography for both, another time saver since we're combining.

I'l also combining Sciene and using REAL Science Odyssey Earth and Space. Once again the 6 yr old can participate as much or as little as she'd like.

Both older kids will also start piano lessons (taught by me), these will most likely be taught during the 2 yr olds naptime so he doesn't come play "music" too!

I'm getting a bunch of Kumon workbooks for the 3 yr old to help occupy him. For the littlest guy, I'm planning on lots of Thomas & and In The Night Garden, redirection, bribing with snacks and a bit of luck! He's extremely active and likes to do everything he's not supposed to, so at this point I'm hoping to get as much schooling done during his naptime as possible. The kids all go to bed around 8ish so there's still plenty of time at night to have my quiet time. Good luck and let me know if you find any tricks that work for you!

We will give this a run thru on Monday morning. I have made a schedule and combined the science, art, geography, read out aloud. At this point, I don't think anything else can be combined and function properly.

Thank you all! This was very inspiring and encouraging.

We just ended the year with a 2nd grader, 1st grader, 2 K'ers, 2 pre-K and a toddler. (1 of the K'ers is more like 1st/2nd grade in ability). Here's our schedule - on a good day.

9:00 Bible reading & prayer: All are required to listen and participate

9:30 Read aloud: At this point I excuse everyone under 5 to go play. If we were going to be in the car a lot that day, I would skip this & listen to the book on tape while we were out & about.

10:00 My oldest 4 come to the table for math, LA, penmanship, reading comp, online phonics, online math drill (depending on the student)

I rotate around the table helping as needed.

My K'ers are done and off entertaining the now bored preschoolers by about 10:30 - 11:00.

Around 11:00 I begin history/geography and/or science - depending on what day it is. Sometimes the K'ers come back for this, sometimes not. I don't require it.

After that we break for lunch and the 1st & 2nd grader finish up whatever they still need to do.

It mostly worked well. We had to take frequent breaks to redirect the youngest 3. My 2nd grader thinks the world revolves around him and goes into meltdown when he has to wait a few minutes for me to help him. So that takes time to work through.

Our curriculum was:

MFW - Adventures (bible, science, history/geography, literature)

MUS - 2nd grader & 2 K'ers

Abeka math - 1st grader

BJU English - 2nd grader

CLE LA - 1st grader & 1 K'er

Spelling Power - 2nd & 1st grader

ETC & Click N Kids - Other K'er

Copywork - Penmanship for all.

I'm changing things up a just little this coming year to try and free up some time as both my pre-K'ers will be K'ers. I'm adding a couple online subjects for my rising 3rd grader (English and bible). If he does well, I might add math later.

Some days are more successful than others. On bad days, I drop everything but the basics.

This turned out to be pretty long, but I hope it's helpful. This past year I had a 4th grader, 2nd grader, k'er, 3 prek'ers and 1 year old (some owned, some borrowed). Here's what our day looked like:

9:00 Pledge of Allegiance, prayer, calendar, chore chart, all together. Then we do Bible reading and memorization together as well. My 4th and 2nd graders did the reading aloud and lead the memorization for the littles. I held the baby.

9:30 Baby goes to bed. Older 2 do independent handwriting, grammar, spelling, math pages, Spanish (Rosetta Stone) and typing. I do read alouds, worksheets and projects with the littles.

11:00 Littles go outside to play, or I pull out games/puzzles/activities for them. I go over morning work with older two, setting aside anything they needed help with. Baby wakes up.

11:30 Lunch, they all go outside for 30 min.

12:30 Silent reading. Except for the baby, they are all required to look at books quietly for 30 minutes. I clean up/play with baby.

1:00 I read aloud, they all color/draw/write in their journals while I do it. Baby runs around grabbing their pencils. Many interruptions in reading. :) A playpen full of toys can work, but I found it causes lots of screaming.

1:30 History or science, depending on the day. We did this all together during the project part, then I'd let the littles run and play while the older kids did reading/narrations. Most of this done with the baby either being held or wreaking havoc.

2:30 Baby goes to bed. One on one math with the older kids (15 min. each, both are great independent learners). Go over any work they had trouble with in the morning.

3:15 Done!

I found it really helps to have toys/games/activities available for the little guys that I'd chosen in advance. I could say "today we are doing this floor puzzle, this game, or go outside and blow bubbles." It helped with the mess too because then I only had 3 things to pick up. Movies are great, I tried to find 'educational' 30 minute films for a few days a week. And just learning to be okay with the idea that you'll be interrupted frequently. That's the hard part!

Edited by BSmith
Realized I left out the grammar

I know it can be done. The challenge is, how do you pull it off.

~What do you do with the high energy, gets into everything, talkative, mobile 21 month old? Gate them into a play area. The play yards are wonderful. They can walk freely, yet stay confined in a spacious way.

Put them in a booster seat at the school table and give them simple activities like place all the cheerios in a cup, then you can eat them!

Large paper, crayons (if they won't eat them) Basically, any activity where you can sit them down and keep them busy.

~the little ones want to do homework(workbook) too cheap coloring books at Wal-mart. Give them a book to look through with an "

assignment" from the book (Can you find the monkey in this book?") Younger children really NEED you to teach them step by step, so consider busy work, just that...busy work and don't be terribly disappointed if it's not very academic. Academic busywork comes later, when they can work independently.

~How do you teach math w/ manipulatives when the kids are on different levels block teaching. Teach one for some time, but stay at the table with them while you start your next teaching session. You're near and available, but still able to work with others. If that doesn't work, then you simply teach at totally different times.

~How do you implement group curriculum when one is advance, one is just starting, and the others just want to hang out? Start with the oldest and add in simple activities for the younger ones as you go along. You dismiss first, those who need you the least. In your case, "Here, color this picture of the White House while Mommy studies some more with big sister. Show me when you're finished, then you may play with your special white house puzzle at the other table/floor/etc."

Family Read alouds (set your standard of behavior for these times immediately). This is a great way to group teach. Be sure to ask questions as you go along, pointing out what you want them to retain.

~:confused: etc...etc.

We have a plan that doesn't work, so looking forward to hearing what moms here do:bigear:

What we want to do:

2ndgr: singapore math 2a, spelling, silent reading, copywork,

KDer: singapore 1a, OPGTR, teach handwriting

PreK: Math Primer, Starfall, pre-writing exercrises

daycare: leapfrog magnet letters and numbers, shape sort, coloring

As a group:

Breakfast, lunch (w/ classical music; different composer each week via Ipod), Bible, Art, Read Out Loud, Yoga, (MW)Science, (TTh)Geography

Here's how I'd approach your day, at least at first glance:

give the preschoolers something that will last 20 min.

Teach the 2nd grader math (keep nearby)

check on pker

teach the Ker math while the 2nd grader works independently

put the pker on starfall

assign quiet reading to the second grader

teach OPG and handwriting.

snack

group read aloud for family subject.

activity for family subject (really have the 2nd grader take lead and help everyone, too)

Break time to play outside

have 2nd grader read aloud to all (to littles level) and at the same time, spend some time (15-20m) with PKer great time for math primer

family learning (sci/geo/bible/yoga) (outside time, too, if it works for the lesson)

lunch

naptime for all nappers

finish core subjects during naptime with Ker and 2nd grader

after naps is great for nature study.

Science is outside gardening, cloud watching, insect study, and bird watching; no curriculum (I'm not ready yet, but they are)

Geography is twice a week because our family is all over the global and we talk about.

How do you meet the challenge?

please excuse the grammar and my lack of spell check, my time is limited.

The challenge is keeping on your toes by giving them activities often enough, but making those activities simple and independent - megablocks, large magnets (that they can't swallow), knex, balls, building blocks, etc. Remember, these activities are school related at young ages! Don't bring in the school stuff too early! Let them start school without even knowing that's what they're doing.

I think the other key, which is harder for me, is understanding that it will all come together. That teaching to your oldest is most important. Allow yourself ease in teaching and joy in discovery. Remember, there aren't too many dc running around the homes of posters that can't read or add. Give yourself permission to be diligent, but take it slow and easy. If you're frustrated, take a minute and find your joy again!

HTH!

:grouphug:

Let go of any *pressure* for schooling the 5yo or 3yo right now.

Leapfrog DVD's

Starfall (I have my dc take turns being the "clicker" and they can do this in teams of 2...it keeps my 5yo and young 4yo busy and learning for a good while)

Happy Phonics and RightStart math games have been good for doubling up on some lessons. My 5yo has actually learned TONS through this...all in the name of reviewing for my ds7.

I don't know what I'd do with a toddler right now...I think all math manips would have to wait for naptime.