Menu

SOTW ??

brewer13399

How many chapters do you do a week? I was thinking one a week and then doing the activity pages but then some chapters looked a little shorter so I was thinking some weeks would be 2 chapters. We will be starting in July and am trying to figure out how long it will take to get to the chapter about King Tut, looks like chapter 13 or so. So should I plan on 13 wks to get there. I would like to take my boys to Denver (we live 5.5 hrs away) for the King Tut stuff they have on display (think I heard from July 2010-Jan 2011 will be the time the display is there).

Thanks

We avg. one a week. There are very few chapters that are only 1 section. In those cases, we might move on the the 1st section of the next chapter during the same week, or we might have the extra day to work on projects and extra reading.

More often than shorter chapters especially in vol. 1 are longer chapters that have 3 sections. In those cases, we sometimes did it in one week, and sometimes carried it over into the next week. Like PP said, depending on interest and what other projects and reading we had going on.

It takes us almost a full year to get through 1 volume so far!

We work on SOTW over the summers, not during the school year when we're focused on our Oak Meadow curriculum.

With that said, we just go with the flow. We take however long we need to do the chapter and the activities/projects we choose to do, and to do the supplemental reading which usually has to be ordered through interlibrary loan, etc. (We usually do most if not all of the supplemental reading, the mapwork, any coloring pages, and at least one of the crafts/projects suggested for each chapter).

So I would say we do a chapter once every week or once every other week for the most part, before being ready to move on to the next one.

We do one chapter a week, but took a bit of a break recently, just getting going again.

Oh, and thanks for the reminder on the King Tut exhibit! Denver Art Museum, right? We'll be there!

I haven't looked at where it is yet!! I keep hearing about it on the radio here on the Western Slope and think my boys would LOVE it!!!

How many chapters do you do a week? I was thinking one a week and then doing the activity pages but then some chapters looked a little shorter so I was thinking some weeks would be 2 chapters. We will be starting in July and am trying to figure out how long it will take to get to the chapter about King Tut, looks like chapter 13 or so. So should I plan on 13 wks to get there. I would like to take my boys to Denver (we live 5.5 hrs away) for the King Tut stuff they have on display (think I heard from July 2010-Jan 2011 will be the time the display is there).

Thanks

Wherever you are in the book when it's time to go, just read up on the Egypt and King Tut portions. Your boys won't quibble that you've jumped ahead 300 years or whatever. ;)

In general, we spend more time on the portions that dc are intrigued with. So we might read 2 (sometimes even 3) chps. in one week, do the maps and look at another book (library, history ref., picture book) so that we have time to go more indepth with the next topic. There are areas with several chapters in a row on ancient Egypt, Greece, Rome. You can easily spend a few weeks here exploring the projects, making food, looking at lots of books, reading about mythology.

So, since you asked : ) I'd say, it's best when you don't expect it to move along at a steady even pace for the whole book of 40-some chapters.

Have fun.