Menu

This may be the silliest....but help with can openers?

Yes, I need help with can openers. I hate electric ones - for some reasons, the ones I buy never work well. The last two wouldn't even stay put together. I bought them at WalMart, which is all our little town has, so maybe they were cheap, but they weren't the cheapest. I much prefer manual. So just buy manual, right? Two of my children are lefties and can't do manuals.

I've searched Amazon and can't find a manual opener specific for lefties or suitable for either right or left. Does anyone have any experience with this and have a suggestion or two? My poor oldest dd can't have her green beans (she'd have them daily if she could) unless someone else is home. It's just sad....in a funny sort of way.

Thanks - Anne

Is there some reason your lefties can't use a manual opener? It takes a bit of getting used to (like using regular scissors), but it's definitely do-able. Both my ds and I are lefties and all we use is a $3 opener from Wal-Mart. We've used the same one for over 6 years now.

I hate to say it but as lefties, sometimes, it's easier to 'adjust' to living in a righty world than to fight it. :glare:

Is there some reason your lefties can't use a manual opener? It takes a bit of getting used to (like using regular scissors), but it's definitely do-able. Both my ds and I are lefties and all we use is a $3 opener from Wal-Mart. We've used the same one for over 6 years now.

I hate to say it but as lefties, sometimes, it's easier to 'adjust' to living in a righty world than to fight it. :glare:

Well, I (not a leftie) think it's do-able, but my it's-all-about-me leftie-oldest-dd disagrees. Loudly! LOL!!

I am left handed and can totally understand the frustration. (I also struggle with peelers.) I got a pampered chef can opener and love it. Works great for me and non-lefty DH.

Thanks everyone, I will look into the pamperd chef opener.

I know a lot of lefties use the Pampered Chef can opener. You turn the crank on the top, instead of the side.

I have this one, too. I think it would be a wise choice for the op for sure.

(BTW, it did take me a little while to figure out how to make it work - I'm not so wise in the ways :blush:. But once I did, it quickly became my absolute favorite can opener)

I love the Kuhn Rikon openers. The handle is on the top, rather than the side, mounted and they leave no sharp edges on the can or lid.... and they're good for lefties and righties. We've had this model for a number of years, and it looks and operates like new.

Well, I (not a leftie) think it's do-able, but my it's-all-about-me leftie-oldest-dd disagrees. Loudly! LOL!!

Thanks everyone, I will look into the pamperd chef opener.

Ahhh.... that explains it, then! :lol: Hope you like the Pampered Chef one. It definitely has a lot of votes here, eh?

Just an aside.... ever since I was a kid and was forced to learn to use 'righty' scissors, and make other adaptations in a 'righty world' (spiral notebooks, screw drivers, irons with the cord that comes out the side rather than from the back, etc), I have had a bit of revenge over the years.... I taught my brother to skateboard (he stands on the 'wrong' leg), roller skate (he turns backward like I do--- the 'wrong' way for a righty), and I learned to play tennis with both hands.... it TOTALLY stuns my opponent when I switch hands mid stroke and I often gain a point when they hesitate to figure out 'what the heck just happened?' :D Oh, and my dad always knows when I was the last one to close a bag of bread or potato chips, because I turn the twist-tie the wrong way and when he goes to open it, he tightens the thing rather than opening it! heehee!

I would tell you to tell your dd she can have 'fun' being different, but I have a feeling she already knows. :lol::lol:

Ahhh.... that explains it, then! :lol: Hope you like the Pampered Chef one. It definitely has a lot of votes here, eh?

Just an aside.... ever since I was a kid and was forced to learn to use 'righty' scissors, and make other adaptations in a 'righty world' (spiral notebooks, screw drivers, irons with the cord that comes out the side rather than from the back, etc), I have had a bit of revenge over the years.... I taught my brother to skateboard (he stands on the 'wrong' leg), roller skate (he turns backward like I do--- the 'wrong' way for a righty), and I learned to play tennis with both hands.... it TOTALLY stuns my opponent when I switch hands mid stroke and I often gain a point when they hesitate to figure out 'what the heck just happened?' :D Oh, and my dad always knows when I was the last one to close a bag of bread or potato chips, because I turn the twist-tie the wrong way and when he goes to open it, he tightens the thing rather than opening it! heehee!

I would tell you to tell your dd she can have 'fun' being different, but I have a feeling she already knows. :lol::lol:

Oh Heather, I can totally see her teaching the boys that kind of stuff - she just hasn't thought of that, apparently!! I've never paid attention to the twist ties before - will need to do that! REally, though, the can opener has been her only major stumbling block. Even sissors in school weren't that bad, or at least that I can remember.

I went ahead and ordered a PC can opener. I assume it will last a good while. I don't usually have high quality stuff - I'm sorta looking forward to this. :tongue_smilie:

Thanks again all - Anne