Menu

Test of Visual-Perceptual Skills available free online or in a book?

Thanks for posting these.

ETA - I answered the questions about my son. It gave lots of recommendations of his workbooks and not just the book linked. Has anyone used any of his other books?

Jan

Edited by jg_puppy

Developing Ocular Motor and Visual Perceptual Skills: An Activity Workbook

You can buy it Amazon.com. I was able to borrow one through interlibrary loan. It has exercises to address visual deficits. Our developmental optometrist did not recommend this book, but it had a lot of the exercises she gave our adopted niece.

http://www.amazon.com/Developing-Ocular-Visual-Perceptual-Skills/dp/1556425953/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1277133622&sr=8-2

Oh you know me... I will try to find it used.

One step at a time. We are working through the dot mapping in Helping Children Overcome Learning Difficulties and going in for testing first. Then I will look into these books. I just wanted something to convince DH to get the testing done.

Oh you know me... I will try to find it used.

One step at a time. We are working through the dot mapping in Helping Children Overcome Learning Difficulties and going in for testing first. Then I will look into these books. I just wanted something to convince DH to get the testing done.

What is "dot mapping"? Is it where they copy designs on a dot grid?

• 1 month later...
DH needs some convincing that Emily has a problem with this. I already gave her one assessment from a book, plus the descriptions fit her problems with math to a T. Can anyone help me out with another test in order to demonstrate to DH that we need to do something about this? TIA.
Well, I took her to a vision therapist and she did two Visual Perceptual tests. She scored 95% for a 12 year old on both.:001_huh:

I am thinking that most of our school problems are behavioral. :sad::blushing:

Well, I took her to a vision therapist and she did two Visual Perceptual tests. She scored 95% for a 12 year old on both.:001_huh:

I am thinking that most of our school problems are behavioral. :sad::blushing:

How did she do on the dot map assessments though?

My experience is that Andrew had a developmental visual assessment around age four. They caught some major/severe issues in convergence and tracking. I saw two doctors--one locally and one in Indianapolis. We did therapy. He improved wonderfully in those areas. He was pronounced "reformed" in those visual areas by both doctors. He still had some directional type issues and coordination things going on they wanted to address but we had to stop for cost.

But I am seeing visual perceptual stuff and he did not score at age level on the dot maps in that book. He is very weak in copying patterns or movements even. There are many things really I won't go into but clearly there are issues here. Still, he's done pretty well with most of the critical thinking company visual spatial workbook exercises and that is similar to what might be assessed with vision therapy stuff. But he's really struggled with those dot maps and he fits the profile for Non-verbal learning disability symptom wise as well.

Anyway, my experience has been that our vision therapy assessment didn't pick up all the areas--particularly the visual spatial reasoning it seems.

How did she do on the dot map assessments though?

My experience is that Andrew had a developmental visual assessment around age four. They caught some major/severe issues in convergence and tracking. I saw two doctors--one locally and one in Indianapolis. We did therapy. He improved wonderfully in those areas. He was pronounced "reformed" in those visual areas by both doctors. He still had some directional type issues and coordination things going on they wanted to address but we had to stop for cost.

But I am seeing visual perceptual stuff and he did not score at age level on the dot maps in that book. He is very weak in copying patterns or movements even. There are many things really I won't go into but clearly there are issues here. Still, he's done pretty well with most of the critical thinking company visual spatial workbook exercises and that is similar to what might be assessed with vision therapy stuff. But he's really struggled with those dot maps and he fits the profile for Non-verbal learning disability symptom wise as well.

Anyway, my experience has been that our vision therapy assessment didn't pick up all the areas--particularly the visual spatial reasoning it seems.

Thank you. They did a simple picture matching and a visual sequential memory test. That is what she did well on. She tested at K level when I did the dot mapping test with her. She matched the profile in the book. :confused: More testing is $380.

She has very mild near sightedness in one eye, some convergence problems and her tracking gets a little off when she is trying to think of answers for things (middle name, birthday, etc.)

The decision of the therapist was that her vision was not the cause of our learning difficulty. She wanted me to look into Auditory Processing, ADHD and diet (yep), SID (already know this).

I think we have a lot of very mild things combined with emotional problems due to circumstances surrounding my pregnancy with her and my behavior due to PPD after having her brother.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

Do you think there are neurological differences in her causing learning issues or do you think it's only behavioral? I really think moms are usually accurate in their instincts about special needs areas.

Honestly, I can't see a child without something going on neurologically only doing K level on those dot assessments at her age. I can't remember her age exactly but I know she's older than my kiddo. There is more to this area than visual recognition and visual memory. I didn't see improvement in the visual spatial reasoning and related areas when we had major improvement in tracking and convergence here.

Anyway, whether it's neurological or behavioral or (most likely for most kids I'd suspect) a combination doesn't it still need addressed to give her the best chance of success? My husband was sort of reluctant to continue in a specific therapy we are using for the social side of things in my son for many reasons including not being sure of underlying cause of the difficulties and and cost. While I understood his reluctance my "take" was he's got issues in this area for whatever reasons and this therapy is the best approach I can find for trying to work on them. He came to the same conclusion eventually. I don't know if that's helpful in your situation. :grouphug:

Edited by sbgrace

Do you think there are neurological differences in her causing learning issues or do you think it's only behavioral? I really think moms are usually accurate in their instincts about special needs areas. My instinct is telling me that she is a lot like me. I test well and was placed in gifted classes but always struggled to get the work done. I don't know if I had any kind of LD other than ADD, which I still have.

Honestly, I can't see a child without something going on neurologically only doing K level on those dot assessments at her age. That was what I thought. I can't remember her age exactly but I know she's older than my kiddo. She turned 8 in July. There is more to this area than visual recognition and visual memory. I didn't see improvement in the visual spatial reasoning and related areas when we had major improvement in tracking and convergence here. Well, she was just a little off on tracking and convergence. She has improved a lot in the dot mapping and has improved in math during the same time period. My instincts say we are on the right track and don't really need anything more. I almost canceled the appointment, but she still wanted to go.

Anyway, whether it's neurological or behavioral or (most likely for most kids I'd suspect) a combination doesn't it still need addressed to give her the best chance of success? I am trying to find out what will do the most good. For that money I can get her in to my Natural Doctor who will assess toxicity, diet, behavioral therapy, etc. I am thinking that will help more than the vision therapy, and our appointment today confirmed it. KWIM? My husband was sort of reluctant to continue in a specific therapy we are using for the social side of things in my son for many reasons including not being sure of underlying cause of the difficulties and and cost. While I understood his reluctance my "take" was he's got issues in this area for whatever reasons and this therapy is the best approach I can find for trying to work on them. He came to the same conclusion eventually. I don't know if that's helpful in your situation. :grouphug:

She has had a lot of circumstances holding her back in math... I have had health problems and depression, she has had anxiety, we switched math programs so that she will get a fuller understanding, she has a brother who is a very hard to handle toddler. The circumstances have a lot to do with it too.

Thanks for talking this through with me. I can't pick up the phone and talk it through. :grouphug: No one around here homeschools or understands any problems like SID, etc.

My instinct is telling me that she is a lot like me. I test well and was placed in gifted classes but always struggled to get the work done. I don't know if I had any kind of LD other than ADD, which I still have. I'm sure you know that ADD often "goes with" other LD's. Have you read the book "A Mind at a Time" by Levine? I wonder if it might be helpful. When I read it my son was very young but I remember thinking I wanted to take another look as he got older. A lot of libraries seem to have it.

Well, she was just a little off on tracking and convergence. She has improved a lot in the dot mapping and has improved in math during the same time period. My instincts say we are on the right track and don't really need anything more. I almost canceled the appointment, but she still wanted to go.

That's so encouraging to me and, in your shoes, would make me think I was on the right track in my choices. What vision therapist did you see? We saw someone in the North Indy area--I think Carmel if I remember right.

I'm curious--did she improve suddenly? My son seems to have clicked all the sudden like day and night. Whew. I think.....

Also, if you get a chance could you tell me how far beyond current grade level you are supposed to take a child. My son would be entering 1st grade this year and I'm not sure if I was supposed to take him 1/2 through 1st or what before we quit. I got the book out of interlibrary loan so can't check.

I am trying to find out what will do the most good. For that money I can get her in to my Natural Doctor who will assess toxicity, diet, behavioral therapy, etc. I am thinking that will help more than the vision therapy, and our appointment today confirmed it. KWIM? It might. If you learn something neat I'd love to know! Andrew's sees an Integrative Med. doctor but I've not seen anything help the attention issues particularly.

She has had a lot of circumstances holding her back in math... I have had health problems and depression, she has had anxiety, we switched math programs so that she will get a fuller understanding, she has a brother who is a very hard to handle toddler. The circumstances have a lot to do with it too.

Thanks for talking this through with me. I can't pick up the phone and talk it through. :grouphug: No one around here homeschools or understands any problems like SID, etc.

I'm curious about which math you picked and how it goes as it sounds like there might be some similarities in our kids. :grouphug: If it helps at all I'm happy to talk with you either online or phone. I know what it feels like when no one in real life gets it. Oh, I'm in Brownstown which is about 1ish hours southeast of Bloomington between Bedford and Seymour. Small town Indiana!

Edited by sbgrace

I'm sure you know that ADD often "goes with" other LD's. Have you read the book "A Mind at a Time" by Levine? I wonder if it might be helpful. When I read it my son was very young but I remember thinking I wanted to take another look as he got older. A lot of libraries seem to have it.

I will keep that in mind.

That's so encouraging to me and, in your shoes, would make me think I was on the right track in my choices. What vision therapist did you see? We saw someone in the North Indy area--I think Carmel if I remember right. The one we saw was in Avon, past the town hall and almost into Danville.

I'm curious--did she improve suddenly? My son seems to have clicked all the sudden like day and night. Whew. I think..... Yes... but it has happened before with regression following, so I am not thinking Whew! quite yet.

Also, if you get a chance could you tell me how far beyond current grade level you are supposed to take a child. My son would be entering 1st grade this year and I'm not sure if I was supposed to take him 1/2 through 1st or what before we quit. I got the book out of interlibrary loan so can't check.

As soon as I locate my book I will let you know. I have a copy of our current dot mapping page, but can't find the book ATM.

It might. If you learn something neat I'd love to know! Andrew's sees an Integrative Med. doctor but I've not seen anything help the attention issues particularly. Well, it has helped mine for sure! I went for Ulcerative Colitis... of course going from starving to being able to digest will make a difference.:tongue_smilie:

I'm curious about which math you picked and how it goes as it sounds like there might be some similarities in our kids. :grouphug: We are using similar things! I just made my HOD Bigger schedule out and ordered the books. :)

I switched her from Abeka (which she was really starting to do very well in) to Math Mammoth (which she is currently doing well in). I also added the Rightstart Abacus which I can see really helps with the concepts. She does best if I teach her as little as possible... just read and point. She gets very frustrated when I try to explain too much.

If it helps at all I'm happy to talk with you either online or phone. Thanks! Are you on facebook?