Menu

If you started college at 20 . . .

how do you think your experience was different than if you had started at 18? I understand that someone doing a gap year might start at 19, but that still seems pretty close to 18. 20 and older seems more like an adult starting school after a more significant break.

Do you recommend it? Why or why not?

I worked before college and am very glad I did. I did better than I would have right out of school. I knew what I wanted to major in, pursued it single-mindedly and finished early. I also received more scholarships and learned more than many of my younger classmates.

That being said, there were a number of mature, hard-working folks who began school at 18, so I think a lot of it depends on the individual.

I started college at almost 20 and that's what I want for my dc, if possible, also. I think there's a definite maturity issue involved. For us, it's particularly helpful, since my dc (and I myself had the same experience) will be living in a different country, possibly even a different continent. So, maturity is key. I also worked before college. Plus, I got much closer to my parents. I appreciated them more and listened to them more. Like the previous poster, I also got a great scholarship.

I started college the second time around at 24. It made a big difference, esp. since my first attempt I was 16. I was married, an independent adult, and I had the GI bill to pay for it. Also, I was motivated and majored in something I had an enduring interest in.

I started college at about 22 after 5 years on active duty with one year in a hostile fire zone.

Yeah, I'm sure my experience was much difference.

My grades weren't that wonderful, because I worked third shift in a warehouse and served in the reserves on the weekend. So, I was beyond exhausted and I don't think a lot of my professors could relate (although, one did - she was awesome). Oh, yeah, I was also pregnant for 3 semesters...:glare:, so that was pretty horrible.

I did have an absolute ton of friends. Everybody thought I was neat-o. :rofl: I was constantly being invited over to someone's house to meet their families. :D

Like Ravin, I started directly out of high school, soon realized I hated my major and dropped out. I started again at 24 with something I liked, stuck to it, and graduated with honors. I think maturity had everything to do with it.

I encourage my kids to take their time. I don't see any reason to rush into college. I actually hate when I see parents rush kids who are unwilling or uncertain into school. :glare:

I attended university when I was 24. I traveled beforehand & enjoyed life through various jobs, etc. For me, waiting was a plus. I knew what I wanted my major to be, and I really enjoyed my classes & professors. I wasn't too old to fit in by any means, but I was old enough to stay on track and really take in the experience. I also graduated with honors. I'm almost 40 now & still have no regrets with waiting.

This was my experience anyway.

Susan

I *wish* I had started college at 20. Unfortunately, I started right out of high school and didn't have the maturity or drive to succeed. I dropped out before I flunked out and went back to school, with better success in my 20's.

I think it is completely dependent on the person. I will encourage my children to do whatever I/they think they will succeed at, be it waiting a year or two (or more--but they'd need to have a job/career path:D), or starting right after graduation.

I would love to see out society move away from the notion that college is only for those who are 18-21ish. That everyone could have access and be encourage to pursue continuing education, in all areas including the trades. I do believe older students get much more out of the "university" experience, than those fresh out of high school (more mature, more willing to explore outside their comfort zone).

We really need to re-think the whole educational system from top-to-bottom. :tongue_smilie:

I started college the first time just after I turned 18. I had no idea what I wanted to do, but hey, that's what you're supposed to do right?

I was too busy enjoying life. Out partying every night, skipping classes, and eventually just quit going. I didn't have a goal in mind, so it didn't seem very important. I didn't have any idea what life was about to throw me!

I started college the second time at 22. I had lived life. I had gotten all my partying out of the way. I was now a mother, and knew I needed to support my daughter and I. I also knew what I wanted to do! I went to a community college, took 38 credits in two semesters with a 3.9 GPA. Then I transferred to a university where I am in the honors program and have a 3.8 GPA. I'll be continuing on to graduate school.

Obviously there are many, many people out there who do well in college just out of high school. But, at least for me, I think the years off really made a difference. I grew up, a lot. Plus, having an actual goal in mind (getting my PhD) really makes a difference for me. If my daughter shows any hesitation about going to college when she graduates high school, I'll encourage her to take a break.