Menu

Remedial Grammar/English help

michaeljenn

My daughter has had tons of trouble retaining her grammar/english while using Rod and Staff. I thought about switching her to Christian Light and was having her take the placement test and she BOMBED the 6th grade portion. This is an incoming 8th grader we are talking about here.

She said she just does not get it. I am not sure if she is just not trying hard or what. Most of her daily work from R&S was pretty good, although she was always in tears from it.

I am not sure how to procede from here. I need a really good rec. on a straightforward grammar program for her. I was thinking something easy like easy grammar??

Help!!

My daughter has had tons of trouble retaining her grammar/english while using Rod and Staff. I thought about switching her to Christian Light and was having her take the placement test and she BOMBED the 6th grade portion. This is an incoming 8th grader we are talking about here.

She said she just does not get it. I am not sure if she is just not trying hard or what. Most of her daily work from R&S was pretty good, although she was always in tears from it.

I am not sure how to procede from here. I need a really good rec. on a straightforward grammar program for her. I was thinking something easy like easy grammar??

Help!!

I recommend Winston Grammar. We worked through Easy Grammar with all of my children, but for one of them, at the end of all that time he knew very little about grammar. It was like he was a leaky vase...he would fill up on grammar one day, but everything would be gone three days later. (We also tried diagramming. Unfortunately it wasn't helpful either. Diagramming is just as abstract as the grammar itself.)

Winston Grammar has caught him up to speed in two months time. There is something about the hands on component that made it work for him. I believe it has something to do with training the brain to organize the information. Winston teaches the student to analyze each word in the sentence to determine its job with "clue cards." The cards guide the student through a series of questions designed to help them analyze each word in the sentence. It's methodical and extremely effective. Over time, the cards become unnecessary.

I recommend you start with Winston Grammar Basic and then move to the advanced level. (That's what we've done. I would not recommend that you skip Basic.)

Edited by LittleHouseHomeschool

Honestly, I think MCT might be wonderful. It may sound out of the box, but I would imagine it could click where other programs did not. I'd try Town level. You could take or leave the Poetry (though I really like it) and the Vocab (though I love, love, love it), but I'd do the rest of the books (Grammar Town, Practice Town, Paragraph Town) to get the full force of the grammar program.

My son has a lot of trouble with grammar and made big improvements with CLE this year. I am going to continue using CLE with him but will also just use the grammar portion of Shurley English. We'll probably do one program 3 days a week and the other one two days.

The Linking Block program sounds interesting. I'll have to take a look at that myself just in case we are still having trouble in the future.

Lisa

Thanks for the replies so far:) What about doing Winston *and* Easy Grammar together? I don't want to put her through any more of R&S at this time.....

Uh...no. There would be no point in doing both, besides which they have different scopes and sequences. Just pick one. My vote is EG.:)