Menu

Anyone want to talk about SWB new book...history of the medieval world

I've read a few reviews stating that it is to much for high school. We will be using History Odyssey level 2 for my daughters who will be in 9th and 10th in the fall. It uses Kingfisher and the Story of Mankind by VanLoon (?) i think that's the author.

We have never pursued a classical education and are not used to the more rigorous reading, writing, etc. On the one hand, I don't want them to be spending time reading something that is over their heads and that they get nothing out of it except for a distaste for the subject. But on the other hand, I wonder if the challenge would be good for them. Or would it be too challenging? KWIM? hmmmm.....

We will also be starting First Form Latin and a Diagramming book because they don't know how to diagram. We will also be doing British Lit, again, somewhat heavy reading--depth and length.

If we did use SWB's book I think it broke it down to about 5 pgs a day maybe. can't remember for sure.

Any advice? Would The Story of Mankind be enough for 9th and 10th grades? They will have some other lit to read along with history, doing mapwork, outlining, summarizing, etc. Kingfisher and Story would be the spines.

Thank you!

Tracy

No it is not too much for high school and we are using it. However, we are used to a fairly high number of pages per day . More important though is the readability and SWB is far, far more readable than JMRoberts . Wonderful historian but holy cow is he challenging to read. Look at it yourself and go with what you think is best ,you know your dc better than any of us. Truly I do not get why anyone would think these were too much unless they are not used to reading history . The books by SWB are tightly organized , well composed and frankly, cheeky. I like a cheeky historian. Humor is a good thing.:lol: You might really enjoy using them or not, you are the best judge for what will work in your home.

I've read a few reviews stating that it is to much for high school. We will be using History Odyssey level 2 for my daughters who will be in 9th and 10th in the fall. It uses Kingfisher and the Story of Mankind by VanLoon (?) i think that's the author.

We have never pursued a classical education and are not used to the more rigorous reading, writing, etc. On the one hand, I don't want them to be spending time reading something that is over their heads and that they get nothing out of it except for a distaste for the subject. But on the other hand, I wonder if the challenge would be good for them. Or would it be too challenging? KWIM? hmmmm.....

I posted in this thread on the other board, but I'll post here too. :) Most people (including me) use HO's Level 2 for logic stage-fifth, sixth, seventh and eighth grades. The Ancient or Medieval level is designed for fifth and sixth graders. Personally, I wouldn't use it for high school credit. I don't think it's high school material. Same with the Kingfisher's reading level. If they are in high school, then they need to be doing high school level work. JMO.

We will also be starting First Form Latin and a Diagramming book because they don't know how to diagram. We will also be doing British Lit, again, somewhat heavy reading--depth and length.
If they are capable of high school level reading from British Lit, why do you think they couldn't handle high school level reading for history? British Lit for high school usually includes Shakespeare, Beowulf, Frankenstein (or Dracula), Dickens, etc.

eta: If you don't want to use SWB's book(s), you might look at Notgrass or Spielvogel.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

i haven't read the medieval book, but have the ancient world volume. she is very readable and let's her attitude/bias show. However, the ancient one is LONG and I only wanted a spine as were reading primary texts. If you are only reading a history book and saving your reading for literature, it is probably doable.

But you know your dc and how much reading they can handle without being overwhelmed.

blessings,

I posted on another thread that I thought The Medieval World might be too much for my 11th grader next year, not because he could not handle the reading, but because he has quite a heavy Great Books study. I was just going to use the chapters on our history period in Spielvogel's Western Civ. along with Teaching Company courses to give him a break.

He picked up The Medieval World last night and started reading it. I told him I had not scheduled it next year to give him a break. He told me he wants to use it next year anyway. Oh well, if he complains I can remind him it was his idea.

So far we only have the Ancient History book, but we are going to get the next one. As others have mentioned, it's highly readable. My only regret is that SWB hasn't done an American history because we had to go with books my dd's don't like nearly as much. Sure there are a lot of pages, but you choose what assignments you give because it's not a textbook and doesn't come with any on its own.

I posted on another thread that I thought The Medieval World might be too much for my 11th grader next year, not because he could not handle the reading, but because he has quite a heavy Great Books study. I was just going to use the chapters on our history period in Spielvogel's Western Civ. along with Teaching Company courses to give him a break.

He picked up The Medieval World last night and started reading it. I told him I had not scheduled it next year to give him a break. He told me he wants to use it next year anyway. Oh well, if he complains I can remind him it was his idea.

Isn't that how it always is? :lol: That said, the one problem with using only Spielvogel is that it only covers Western history, you'd need to add in some readings from somewhere for non-Western.