Menu

Getting drivers license question??

My son is soon to finish his drivers ed class and his instructor told the class that they would need to bring their birth cert. and school ID to the DMV when they go to get their license. So, my question is . . .what do you do if you don't have a student ID? I think we will be able to use his soc. security card as 2nd form of proof but since that doesn't really prove his address, I was wondering if anyone made up their own student ID and used that.

My DD just got her permit and they asked for the same thing. When we told them that we home schooled they asked us to get an attendance record from the Board of Education instead. If your state does not require attendance you might be able to bring in your Intent to Homeschool form.

Your post got me thinking so I headed over to the NJ motor vehicles to see their requirements.

In NJ you can show a social security card, passport, bank statement, birth certificate and letter from parents verifying child lives at X address.

I would check at your states department of motor vehicles and see what they require.

My DD just got her permit and they asked for the same thing. When we told them that we home schooled they asked us to get an attendance record from the Board of Education instead. If your state does not require attendance you might be able to bring in your Intent to Homeschool form.

Thank you, Mouse! The Letter of Intent will provide the necessary proof of residency. :)

Your post got me thinking so I headed over to the NJ motor vehicles to see their requirements.

In NJ you can show a social security card, passport, bank statement, birth certificate and letter from parents verifying child lives at X address.

I would check at your states department of motor vehicles and see what they require.

Actually, I checked the NH DMV website first but I was still wondering how a 16 year old proves residency. Everything on the list for "proof of residency" appears to be directed toward adults applying for a license.

Anyway, here are the NH requirements:

What documents are necessary to obtain a NH driver license/Non-Driver Identification Card?

Each applicant shall provide:

• An original or certified copy of his/her birth certificate, valid US Passport or Military ID and one of the following:

Social Security Card

Passport

Marriage Certificate, Civil Union Certificate, or its equivalent

Military discharge papers

Military identification card

Divorce Decree

Valid School ID w/photo

Please Note: If your name is different than what is listed on your birth certificate, you must also provide the legal document of that name change (i.e., marriage certificate, civil union certificate or its equivalent).

• Current driver license or driver license which has expired no more than 12 months prior to the date of application.

• Proof of residency - One of the following:

NH Valid Registration

Town/City Clerk Approval of Residency Letter

Utility Bill with postmarked date (i.e., Water, Electric, Oil/propane)

I'm thinking that the school superintendant's Letter of Approval for Home Education Program should be just as valid as a school ID. :)

The homemade school ID I made for my dd to use for the PSAT worked fine for her driver's license as well. I had to print off a verification of enrollment form for my dd. Texas requires that you stay in school until 18yo to keep your driver's license. I just put "homeschool" in the blank where the name of the school was supposed to go and put my name where the school administrator name was supposed to go.

In our state we had to submit a specific form to the DMV, along with birth cert and ss card. The form had to be signed by the administrator of the umbrella school where we are registered. I have both teacher and student school id cards from the umbrella school, but the DMV wouldn't accept the cards, only the signed form.