Menu

Light Beige Grout...Red Clay Dirt...UGH

Anyone have this experience?

We rent. The man who owns this place is the most awesome landlord a person could ever have.

His handyman? Don't get me started.

The man (handyman that is) put in off white tile with a light beige grout when we have red clay dirt outside. The dumbest thing he could have done. Our floor *always* looks dirty, icky, nasty even if I freshly mop. (We won't talk about the color of the berber carpet he chose with to go with the wood in the house :ack2: we won't talk about it's condition either) Oh and I have to mop at least three times to get most of the dirt gone. I never completely get it all.

Anyone who lives in the country with red clay dirt can probably empathize with me.

So any suggestions? I have tried bleach, vinegar, oxyclean, greased lightning and plain ole soap. Nothing has ever gotten it out. I am on the verge of finding grout paint and painting it a nice bu dark color. Shoot, anyone ever done that? Painted the gout?

Edited by Mynyel
What else? Spelling!

How about not wearing shoes inside? If you have pets that are in/out wipe their feet and minimize the times in/out. I know that dust will still settle but at least it won't be as hard to get up. Instead of sweeping, maybe a good hard floor vac would do you some good? Rugs at the doors will help to contain a lot of the dirt, do you have those in place?

I have thought of the shoe thing but...

1) We have no where to put shoes outside the door and would have to bring them in when it rains.

2) We don't wear shoes outside. We go barefoot 90% of the time.

It isn't loose dirt either. I have a vacuum I use on the floor but the problem is the dirt gets trapped in the grout and when we do things in the kitchen it gets wet and well....it is down hill from there.

Tried rugs....doesn't help. Hmmmm maybe if I took a picture of my yard so you know what I am up against you'd see :)

It is hard to explain I have tried and tried to figure out what to do. It got bad before I figured out I really had a problem, if that makes sense. We hadn't ever lived in dirt like this with tile like this so it was a case of ignorance.

*sigh*

Too bad he didn't use grout sealant. Dh insists on it even when we have dark colored grout.

Sorry, no help here. But I feel for you about that red clay dirt. Got the carpet stains to show for it! Oh, and the clothing stains, too. Dd loves dirt.

Cinder

Pretty much it is a lost cause at this point. Your landlord should have sealed the grout before, but now the red clay has stained the grout. You could try a professional, they might be able to help get the stains out. But if the grout is not sealed, the grout will restain.

Can the grout be stained dark and then resealed? I do understand red clay, I have lived in it before. We just were diligent about shoes and vacuuming before mopping and it wasn't a problem. If you like to go barefoot....I don't think there is anything you can do.

ETA: How do you keep the other floors clean if you have red clay on your bare feet all day? Just curious.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

I live in red clay land of Alabama. I tried grout cleaners and everything before buying this product. It works great and haven't had anymore problems with grout. I still have to hand brush wash my tile a couple times a year because my grout in deep and holds dirt the mop can't get but the the grout is still white:D

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ5yctl/R-100133209/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

works great available in several colors

It colors and seals all in one. Solved my clay red grout problem