Menu

Planning a vacation....what things can we do up in northern Michigan UP or western UP

Wow! My dh and I had our honeymoon there and my parents-in-law head up there at least once a year.

First of all, there's Mackinac Island right at the bridge between the penninsulas. It has a fort and gorgeous lilacs (check for the Lilac Festival sometime in June) along with tons of fudge. There's also Fort Michilamackinac (sp?) on the mainland in Mackinaw City. (BTW, City and Island names are pronounced the same.)

Above the bridge, there are the ship locks between Lakes Superior and Huron at Sault Ste. Marie. I've never been there, but I've heard that it fascinates kids and some :) adults. Then you have Copper Harbor right up at the tip of the Keweenaw Penninsula with the Harbor Haus Restaurant (Awesome food!) and several shops. There's tons of fishing on little lakes, not to mention hiking at various state parks. If I remember correctly, Michigan has awesome state parks in general. There's a nice beach at Grand Marais and I've heard that the Tahquamenon Falls are definitely worth the hike. I've heard of various restaurants but can't remember them all right now . . . Darrow's in Mackinaw City is awesome - especially the pies (many choices, <sigh>)!

Oh, one more thing - if you like fish, the whitefish in just about any place you go is incredible, so says my fil.

Have fun! (I'll try not to be envious . . . :))

Mama Anna

My dc are still talking about the forst on Mackinaw island! We spent an entire day on the island - drove a horse buggy around the island, ate breakfast at Jerry's Chuckwagon (?), walked through town, played at the forst, dressed up at the fort, shot cannons at the fort....

We also climed the Dunes in Traverse and went to a great place called THyme Out for lunch - sit in the garden - it is magical.

If you get down to Detroit, the Greenfield Village is EXCELLENT.

Have fun!

See both forts in Mackinac; they're different and both great!

There's a museum dedicated to the building of the bridge above a pizza shop in town.

Across the bridge, in St. Ignace, is a great little museum dedicated to their heritage and including lots of American Indian things (with lots of interactive stuff for the kids). It's run by the local Chamber of Commerce, I think.

The lock tour in Sault St. Marie is interesting. Read up on copper mining, steel production, etc. before you go for a better appreciation of the history of this area.

You can take a ferry from the Keewenaw Peninsula over to Isle Royale (our next trip), where they have re-populated wolves. You have to book the lodge there well in advance, I think.....

You can drive through Pictured Rocks Park from Grand Marais to Munising. Munising is really the center of activities for the park and where you can find tours, etc., as well as more hiking, but we also like the Grand Marais end.

If you're brave, you can drive the gravel roads along the lake almost all the way over to Whitefish Point, to, and stay in Paradise after seeing the shipwreck museum.

Taqhuamenon Falls State Park is gorgeous! I wish we'd had more time there and would like to even stay there. We just were there one night for dinner and a little sunset walk.....

My dad's whole family is from that part of Michigan. We used to go up there a lot as children, and I remember it being beautiful green country. I don't remember any specific places, but I'm sure that you'll enjoy yourself. Mackinac Island might not be too far, my mother always wanted to stay at the Grand Hotel there.

Have fun!

--Dawn

you can ride a boat through the locks and also you can cross into Canada then take a day train ride out to view some falls and return to SSMarie. Must go to Macinaw Island!!! My favorite-rent bikes and tour the island, don't forget to eat the fudge! I hear that these days you must pay to just sit on the porch at the Grand Hotel but meal reservations or hotel guest can get you on the grounds. Once upon a time the Gazebo from Somewhere In Time was down below the gardens. There is also the fort on the LP side. UP has great state and national forests. If you have time you can head down the coast of the LP to all the great resort areas. If you have the chance eat Cherry Butter!

Now I'm officially homesick:001_smile: Have Fun!

I don't have much to add, but if you get to Mackinac Island, go to the Butterfly House. It is very nice! If you can swing it, stay a night at the Grand Hotel. It is a truly wonderful experience. We go every other year in October (when the rates are cheaper!). It takes me a day or two to unwind and truly be able to relax and enjoy the slower pace of the island. The service at the Grand is wonderful. Prices include a HUGE breakfast and a 5 course dinner (with dancing and a live band). Take a tour of the island on a horse drawn carraige and then rent bikes and tour it yourselves.

Plus all the other things the people above have mentioned! You'll have a great time!

OK, just kidding (although you could if you wanted to). If you're up there when we are there, we can get together and play!

The UP is beautiful. There is lots to do. If you're on M28 between Munising and Marquette, you can stop at the Brownstone Inn. It's a great place to eat and not expensive. I think the address is probably Au Train but you have to go past the blinking yellow light in Au Train before you get there. Coming from Munising, that is.

There are TONS of waterfalls up there. Dh and I did a tour one year of the waterfalls in and around Munising. If you stop at the Subway in Munising, they have placemats with a map showing you where they are.

In Munising, too, you can take a tour of the Pictured Rocks on a boat. My dad would take you on his own boat. :D It's really, really neat to see. The Picture Rocks National Lakeshore is beautiful.

I soecond (third? fourth?)

If you like birding, there are tons of birds up there in the summer. The newspapers always have articles on what people have been seeing. There are eagles that nest on the island of the bay where my folks live, as well as Great Blue Herons and cormorants.

If you like fishing, you can book a charter. We know the folks who own Shelter Bay Charters. My dad has a good time when he goes with them. (On their website, you will see that they use apostrophes inappropriately. Please forgive them; they know not what they do.)

If you just want to park and camp and play in Lake Superior, there are lots of places to do that. That's what we do - we stay with my folks and play in the lake.

Marquette has a ton of stuff to do. There is a Children's Museum there if you get caught on a rainy day.

The Keewenaw Peninsula is also a neat place to visit. I think you can look for copper - I know there is a lot of rock collecting up there.

Here are some sites to check out:

UP Travel Site

Marquette Tourism Info

Keewenaw Peninsula Info

Tahquamenon Falls State Park (you can camp here)

My sage advice to you is, TAKE A LOT OF BUG SPRAY. The kind with Deet. The other stuff doesn't work against the mosquitos up there. Trust me, this is not optional.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. I can find out. My folks live at Shelter Bay, between Munising and Marquette. If you plan on being in that area, or going to Houghton-Hancock (on the Keewenaw, where Michigan Tech U. is) let me know, and I can get more specific info on restaurants.