Menu

spanish? What are my options for hs credit?

We tried Breaking the Barrier and ditched it rather quickly.

We are working our way through Holt Expresate which is going much better.

Oak Meadow and Indiana University high school also offer options for Spanish.

We used IUHS for Spanish this year and the turn around time for a grade was much too long for my son. He needed quicker feedback. We are dropping that program for sure and considering Rosetta Stone.

We used Pimsleur for awhile, then moved to Destinos. Pimsleur is expensive but we have gotten it from the library. It's good for starting out. Destinos has a lot of grammar in the text book, as well as a lot of listening practice in the videos. After these 2, I'm understanding quite a bit of Spanish. My daughter got through about 1/2 of each (or 2/3?) and placed into the 4th semester of college Spanish.

We have tried other books on occasion, but they've never held my kids' interest long enough for them to learn anything. Straight grammar books didn't do much for them. RS was pretty much a bore for them, although they did learn a bit of vocabulary (not much grammar, though).

The Destinos videos are free online:

http://www.learner.org/resources/series75.html

We're using Galore Park's So You Really Want to Learn Spanish. We really like it.

DD13 is in Level 2, DS10 is about 40% into Level 1.

There are 3 levels. I consider each a high school level.

RS is a nice supplement, and my 7yo uses it regularly, but I couldn't get it organized well to cover all the bases (grammar, etc) and I find GP to be easier to use for a complete program.

FWIW, we do meet with a tutor every other week for 30 min each child to go over any tricky things that come up in GP. This makes it incredibly easy for us. (I don't know Spanish and don't have the time/energy to learn.)

HTH