Menu

Mosquitos & water features (a small fountain-pond) ~What to do?

I thought that if we kept water moving in our little fountain/pond feature, then we would not have such trouble with breeding mosquitos. Ick!!!! It is a learning science thing & the kids love watching the baby mosquitos swimming, but I don't want to BE the science experiment.

This is where our dog can drink from the water.

One idea I have is to figure out which fish would work best in the water to help clean out the water. What else to do?

If you happen to have any advice, links, or whatever -- I'd appreciate.

OK --I'm off research on the world wide web!

I thought that if we kept water moving in our little fountain/pond feature, then we would not have such trouble with breeding mosquitos. Ick!!!! It is a learning science thing & the kids love watching the baby mosquitos swimming, but I don't want to BE the science experiment.

This is where our dog can drink from the water.

One idea I have is to figure out which fish would work best in the water to help clean out the water. What else to do?

If you happen to have any advice, links, or whatever -- I'd appreciate.

OK --I'm off research on the world wide web!

I use Mosquito Dunks.

WE have a similar problem and dh has figured out, somehow, how much bleach to use so that the dog isn't affected....a bit scary to me. Another avenue is that Plow and HEarth (online) sells something called a 'mosquito dunk' which is a ring that releases naturally occurring bacteria that the mosquitoes eat and it kills the larvae. This sounds like a safer way to go to me.

Mary

If you are looking for an actual fish, try contacting your local county extension office or Dept of Wildlife & Fisheries. Seems like several years ago I saw an article about one of these agencies being a resource for such things. Maybe worth a call.

Thank you! -- I saw that on my search on the internet & was going to come by here again & ask about that.

WE have a similar problem and dh has figured out, somehow, how much bleach to use so that the dog isn't affected....a bit scary to me. Another avenue is that Plow and HEarth (online) sells something called a 'mosquito dunk' which is a ring that releases naturally occurring bacteria that the mosquitoes eat and it kills the larvae. This sounds like a safer way to go to me.

Mary

I think I'll try the mosquito dunk. I don't think I could calculate the bleach like your husband does. I'd keep second guessing myself with the bleach.

If you are looking for an actual fish, try contacting your local county extension office or Dept of Wildlife & Fisheries. Seems like several years ago I saw an article about one of these agencies being a resource for such things. Maybe worth a call.

Good idea - we have a place real close to town here that we could go & ask for their ideas. Great field trip for the kids. It would be interesting to hear how they handle it. We do have some bats around the property behind us. I love to see them when they come out.

:iagree:
I love extra votes - thank you!:) I think I'm going to buy some of those mosquito dunks REAL soon.

A really easy way to solve the problem is to add goldfish. The fan tailed are really pretty and not nearly as fussy as coi. They survive well in almost any pond and will eat the mosquito larvae. It's a win - win situation. :) You don't need many - only 3 or 4 and they will rapidly multiply.

We use some algae blocks which are safe for plants and fish in our fountain/pond. It was very mucky with larvae and all sorts when we moved in. Now we can see the bottom of the pond, the water is clear, we are going to get some gold fish. Our dog and cat both drink from the water and are fine.