Menu

Question about Getty-Dubay

Snowfall

I was all set to order the 1st grade set of Peterson Directed Handwriting (had my cart loaded up and everything!), when I decided to take a look at Getty-Dubay. Mistake, of course. lol Now I'm thinking of switching. My question is how Getty-Dubay teaches kids to form the letters. Is it just through tracing, or is there some description of the strokes? I ask because Peterson has a name for each stroke. For instance, a lower case c is "hook around", while a lower case d is "hook around, tall down". That has helped my DD soooo much when it comes to remembering how to form the letters. However, italic does seem like it would be much faster for her - I often hear DD getting very upset with herself when her circles for letters aren't perfectly round. Since she's a perfectionist, this is real problem. She spends way too much time trying to get perfectly round letters, so perhaps switching to GD would help with that. Argh. Why did I look at that? :tongue_smilie:

GDI is divided into families (I've attached a file to make it easier to see the relationships):

straight line downstrokes - i j l

diagonal line - k v w x z

arch - n h m r

inverted arch - u y

basic "a" shape - a d g q

inverted basic "a" shape - b p

elliptical curve - o e c s

crossbar - f t

Book A does little more than introduce the letters. I use the Blackline Masters for extra practice for this year only, and copywork using the GDI font from Educational Fontware for subsequent years.

Terminology is discussed from Book B onwards, with more detail as you move through the series:

body height

ascender height

capital height

branching line

etc.

There aren't any cute names for the different strokes, but my 5yo is having little trouble keeping the basic strokes straight.

If you decide to opt for GDI, be sure to get the fourth edition, as a few more options are given to the students than in previous editions.

post-623-13535083580575_thumb.jpg

post-623-13535083580575_thumb.jpg

StartWrite is a software that lets you create copywork inside its own window using the fonts that it provides. You cannot use those fonts outside of StartWrite in any other program (such as Notepad or MS Word etc). The documents created in StartWrite can only be re-opened or printed through StartWrite. Each piece of text is in its own textbox. You can decide the font, size, whether to show guidelines and arrows etc for each textbox. The guidelines are red and blue.

You can try out StartWrite by downloading the one-time-use trial software. If you choose to keep it, you can pay on the web site and they will send you a key to "unlock" your trial software so that you can keep using it.

Educational Fontware sells a bunch of fonts that you install on your computer and use them in any program. Then you can create documents (copywork) in that program and print from within that program. You can choose the font style, then change the size or colour. If you want to show guidelines, you have to choose a different font in the same font family. The guidelines are black.

You cannot try out these fonts; you can only view samples on the Educational Fontware site.

Hope that makes it clear.

StartWrite is a software that lets you create copywork inside its own window using the fonts that it provides. You cannot use those fonts outside of StartWrite in any other program (such as Notepad or MS Word etc). The documents created in StartWrite can only be re-opened or printed through StartWrite. Each piece of text is in its own textbox. You can decide the font, size, whether to show guidelines and arrows etc for each textbox. The guidelines are red and blue.

You can try out StartWrite by downloading the one-time-use trial software. If you choose to keep it, you can pay on the web site and they will send you a key to "unlock" your trial software so that you can keep using it.

Educational Fontware sells a bunch of fonts that you install on your computer and use them in any program. Then you can create documents (copywork) in that program and print from within that program. You can choose the font style, then change the size or colour. If you want to show guidelines, you have to choose a different font in the same font family. The guidelines are black.

You cannot try out these fonts; you can only view samples on the Educational Fontware site.

Hope that makes it clear.

Sorry to highjack the original post . . . but which of these programs do you prefer? I've been thinking about ordering one or the other. Thanks!

I can't really help you with your GDI question, but if you're still undecided about italics v/s Peterson cursive, do read through the pages on this site.

Hopefully this post will bump up your thread.

I'm definitely not going to use Peterson cursive. Maybe I'll switch to GDI next year, when I think Peterson goes to slanted print. Do you know how one is directed to hold the pencil for italics? That site shows a picture of how one should hold a pencil for copperplate cursive, which is how Peterson says the grip should be for its print font. The tone in your link suggests this is not a good pencil grip, but I didn't see where it showed what a good or more comfortable pencil grip actually is. The one shown is the only one I've ever been taught or have ever seen.

I'd just add that the Educational Fontware package includes a program (for Mac or Windows) which joins the cursive letters.

If you decide to opt for GDI, be sure to get the fourth edition, as a few more options are given to the students than in previous editions.

I'm only seeing 3rd edition. Are you sure there's a fourth edition?

I'm only seeing 3rd edition. Are you sure there's a fourth edition?
Absolutely, as it's what we're using. :) GDI recently switched printers after the old one went out of business; Allport, the new printer, is shipping the 4th. I wouldn't fret as much about 3rd or 4th edition for Level A, or even Level B, but there are now more options for personalization and preference in C and D that I give the clear edge to the 4th edition. FYI, it doesn't appear that the Blackline Masters have been updated.

GDI itself has a new website as well.

Absolutely, as it's what we're using. :) GDI recently switched printers after the old one went out of business; Allport, the new printer, is shipping the 4th. I wouldn't fret as much about 3rd or 4th edition for Level A, or even Level B, but there are now more options for personalization and preference in C and D that I give the clear edge to the 4th edition. FYI, it doesn't appear that the Blackline Masters have been updated.

GDI itself has a new website as well.

Interesting. I bought the whole series when we started - just out of fear of books going out of print. I was pleased that I'd done that when their old printer quit. Smug actually.

Oh well. :)

It would have been nice had they updated the covers to reflect that the books were new editions.

I'm still pleased I've got the Singapore CWP :)

Interesting. I bought the whole series when we started - just out of fear of books going out of print. I was pleased that I'd done that when their old printer quit. Smug actually.

Oh well. :)

It would have been nice had they updated the covers to reflect that the books were new editions.

The extra options are worth a little more for shipping costs (at least until the 4th editions are more widely disseminated), but are certainly not worth paying double. It's still a great program, 3rd or 4th edition. :001_smile:

I'm still pleased I've got the Singapore CWP :)
:D

I can't really help you with your GDI question, but if you're still undecided about italics v/s Peterson cursive, do read through the pages on this site.

Hopefully this post will bump up your thread.

thanks so much for the link! I listened/watched the Handwriting Repair segment and it was interesting and helpful.

It takes about 40 min if anyone is interested watching it.

Ladies,

Are Getty-Dubay italics and Penny Gardner italics the same? I'm not sure how to phrase my question! :D I realize they are different companies but are the hand writing styles the same?

Does that make any sense at all? :D

Can a child learn to write cursive italics if he has never learned italics? We have used HWT (my oldest had a very slow, difficult start writing anything . . . we still struggle some). I don't want to use HWT's cursive (ugly) but may have to.

Maybe I'll learn italics just for fun! It IS beautiful. :001_smile:

thanks so much for the link! I listened/watched the Handwriting Repair segment and it was interesting and helpful.

It takes about 40 min if anyone is interested watching it.

Ooooh. This sounds good. I'm going to watch/listen during afternoon nap time. :001_smile:

Ladies,

Are Getty-Dubay italics and Penny Gardner italics the same? I'm not sure how to phrase my question! :D I realize they are different companies but are the hand writing styles the same?

Does that make any sense at all? :D

Can a child learn to write cursive italics if he has never learned italics? We have used HWT (my oldest had a very slow, difficult start writing anything . . . we still struggle some). I don't want to use HWT's cursive (ugly) but may have to.

As far as switching from HWT-that's what I'm doing with my older 2 kids ages 8 and 11. They both have done cursive for a year but can't read it well and have a hard time remembering the letters that are not the same as the printed counterpart.

I posted on here about switching with older kids and a few others did it with success.

I'm just starting this transition next week and will do some printed italics first as a foundation. I'm going to start with the worksheets in the link I quoted first and go from there.

Sorry to highjack the original post . . . but which of these programs do you prefer? I've been thinking about ordering one or the other. Thanks!

I use StartWrite, because I got the previous edition for free.

If I would have had to purchase one of these two, I would have paid the extra $ for the fonts from Educational Fontware. They provide much more flexibility. Moving between pages in a StartWrite document is a pain. It is also not easy to have different font styles on the same line; you have to create one text box for each style.

There are a few very good and free Italic fonts (I've posted the links in the Free Curriculum thread) but they don't come with guidelines or arrows.

They would be good for an older student. I plan to use the Queensland cursive italics font in future to make dd's copywork, when she no longer needs the triple guidelines that StartWrite provides.

Maybe I'll switch to GDI next year, when I think Peterson goes to slanted print. Do you know how one is directed to hold the pencil for italics? That site shows a picture of how one should hold a pencil for copperplate cursive, which is how Peterson says the grip should be for its print font. The tone in your link suggests this is not a good pencil grip, but I didn't see where it showed what a good or more comfortable pencil grip actually is. The one shown is the only one I've ever been taught or have ever seen.

From what I've read, the pencil grip for italics is different from the pencil grip for cursive writing. The muscles used are also somewhat different. I can't recall the exact info now but will quote it here if I can find the source.

I have the Write Now book by Getty-Dubay. I will scan the half-page that shows the pencil grip and post it to this thread tonight, if that helps.

Are Getty-Dubay italics and Penny Gardner italics the same? ... I realize they are different companies but are the hand writing styles the same?

Yes, they are the same. Most italics writing styles that I found are almost identical (with the exception of a couple of letters such as w and k). Penny Gardner's book is a good course for learning italics through copywork.

Can a child learn to write cursive italics if he has never learned italics?

Yes, but (in my experience) it is difficult to start writing in cursive directly without getting the letter shapes correct first. It would be more systematic to learn the basic italic letters first, then progress through each of the joins, gradually adding each join to the child's writing/copywork. jmo.

There are some free resources for adults learning to write italics (or wishing to improve their handwriting).

1. www.briem.net

2. http://www.studioarts.net/calligraphy/italic/hwlesson.html

3. http://homepage.eircom.net/~swordsourtown/staff/handwriting.htm

4. handwritingrepair.info

5. Penny Gardner's videos on youtube

6. Nan Jay Barchowsky's videos http://www.monkeysee.com/swansbury

7. Monica Dengo's site http://www.freehandwriting.net/educational.html

Edited by nansk