Menu

Anyone here use Sequential Spelling Successfully?

Hedgehogs4

Yeah...the subject linen pretty well sums it up.

I have tried myriad ways to teach my son to spell. He learned to read in a weird way, he HATES spelling, and cannot, for the life of him, decode words from the way he says them to what they should be on paper. I have started with SS, and it seems fine, but I'm still not positive that I'm sold. Don't know why...just not sure.

I have already pitched SW B, and Abeka. Because of his severe dislike of spelling, I want something that can be done fast and effectively. So far SS seems to fit that bill, but it is a bit boring. I'm fine with boring if it gets the job done, but I don't want him to disengage from it, or worse, for me to disengage from it.

Let me know your thoughts on spelling for non-spellers.

My 6 yo uses SS book 2 and we both like it for how fast and efficient it is. He is a natural speller and probably gifted in LA but SS works for both , natural and less natural spellers.

I see that your 8 yo uses MUS delta , I think this is pretty advanced for an 8yo , it seems he is more math minded and maybe a right brainer. I suggest you look up on righ brain learner (even on this site) . SS works great for these type of learners . I would still continue with dictation and copywork which I see you are already using (WWE ).

For a fun spelling site with pre-made lists of words by grades, I would recommend www.bigiqkids.com

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

I let my oldest continue in SS when I moved his younger brother into AAS. We just got our SAT scores back and the only think he didn't score well in was spelling so I'm switching him over to AAS as soon as we are done with the year.

I started Sequential Spelling with my son when we began homeschooling in 2nd grade.

We are beginning grade 5 and he is an amazing speller! I am convinced it is because of sequential spelling.

Its so easy, but it works. And most importantly, my son thinks its fun!

Nothing I used worked for spelling until I ran into Sequential Spelling. However, Otter has recently asked to understand WHY he has to spell things certain ways so I ordered All About Spelling.

SS was good because it got Otter to a point where his spelling was just ok/bad instead of atrocious, lol. :) He's doing so much better than he was. Another thing it was good for was getting him interested in spelling. It's not something he hates. He asked to do more and that's why we're moving on to another program that delves into the rules.

We may move back to SS at some other point to keep things fresh, when he's older (can't beat the 5-10 min lessons).

I did a pre and post test for my son because I wanted to see how much he was actually learning. You can see the results here.

Basically he went from 70% correct on a pre-test to 90% correct on the post test. I was pleased. I did another pretest where he scored only 60%, but we haven't made it to the next test point yet. I'll keep doing that to measure progress.