Menu

Science for Creationists if you don't use Apologia

I was gifted the previous editions of Apologia Science for High School. So, I had planned on using those. But, I'm curious if there are other options for Creationists.

If so, could you tell why you chose that option. I would like to know your course of study. How did your child do with the courses? Were the Science driven children?

We're going to use BJU. We're starting a very small co-op, and I'll be teaching the science part. I have a degree in biology, so I am looking forward to it! We're doing life science this year, then physical science next year, then biology. I'm not sure how the boys (there will be 4 of them) will do, but I think it will be easier actually having a teacher, rather than going through it by themselves, especially when we get to the regular biology text and labs.

So, are these the only choices for High School from a Creationist perspective? How do they discuss evolution? I would like to study the theory of evolution as well with my children. I would like for them to be able to have a knowledgable argument when they encounter it.

Apologia

Abeka

BJU

Those are the big three. :001_smile:

We use BJU. We have used the 7th and 8th grade texts and will use Biology next year with the DVDs. We use BJU because I think (imho, just my personal experience, ymmv, etc. :D) that it is more rigorous, and my dc all show an interest in science, so I wanted the most challenging and thorough program.

The Teacher's Edition actually breaks out the daily assignments which is nice, though I made my own schedule. My DD13 will be doing Life Science this year and her week will look like this:

Mon: Read Section & Complete review questions

Tues: Read Section & Complete review questions

Wed: Read 3rd section (if there is one), Chapter Review and start Student Activities (worksheets) - I've allotted more time on Wed & Thursday

Thurs: Lab(s) & complete Student Activities

Fri: Chapter Test

A few chapters will take 2 weeks as there are more labs &/or worksheets.

I'm also bought the Lab DVD which is $109 (expensive, but I own it instead of renting it) so we can watch some of the experiments I don't want to do at home like dissecting a cow's heart.

Edited by amtmcm

What does a typical week in BJU look like?

I schedule it by the day, not the week, so I can't help there. I also add in other resources and skip/substitute an activity or lab here or there. :D I'm assuming I will have to give some of that up next year to use the DVD, though I will still add in extra outside readings.