Menu

Anyone used Just Write?

momto2Cs

Hello,

I have used about 1/2 of the student book 1 so far. I do like the way they lay out the pages to help the students think. Sometimes, they ask questions and use fill in the blanks for the answers. Then on another day the child uses their own answers (and none are wrong) to begin writing sentences and paragraphs. In my opinion, they seem to "jump" into longer paragraphs a bit and I can see where the child could be overwhelmed or confused. Level 1 does a lot of focus on creative writing (story type) as opposed to a variety of writing styles. I have not used the teacher key all that often (but I own it).

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Pam

I have all three books in the series, and we've enjoyed using them. I started my 7yos and 8yod in Book 1, and they are now in Book 2. At this point, Book 2 is just reviewing some of the Book 1 stuff. My 10yod is using the Book 3, but it ended up being below her level. We just do it more for fun, because the exercises are interesting.

I have the TM's, and IMO they are not necessary. They're geared more for the classroom teacher, and include the answer keys (which are unnecessary at this level for most parents). There are some interesting discussion starters, and we've used a couple, but for the most part the TM's just gather dust.

In an effort to make my life easier (I thought), I purchased Just Write, Level 2. It started off okay, but then I discovered it is much like most non-classical methods of writing in that the student has to come up with much of what they're supposed to write about. That is hard for an elementary student to do. Anyway, I'm back with our technique of using modeling. I recommend you look at something like Writing Tales, Imitations in Writing, or any classical method of writing.

In an effort to make my life easier (I thought), I purchased Just Write, Level 2. It started off okay, but then I discovered it is much like most non-classical methods of writing in that the student has to come up with much of what they're supposed to write about. That is hard for an elementary student to do. Anyway, I'm back with our technique of using modeling. I recommend you look at something like Writing Tales, Imitations in Writing, or any classical method of writing.

I too, have used Just Write 2 this year and we are ditching it next year for Writing Tales. I honestly can't say it has improved my kids writing at all. Ds is a very reluctant writer and having to come up with his own ideas too write was not working for us. I can't wait to start Writing Tales. It looks so much better!

We are using Level 2 this year as well. Just like you, it started out good, but now my dd is not liking it at all. I think I am going to purchase Writing Tales for next year.

Dd9 likes to switch back and forth. I let her use JR2 as a break from WT. She likes them both.

I would pick JR if I was looking for a quick, fill in the blanks, writing book for a child who already likes to be creative and can put ideas in writing. JR would be good for a kid who is already writing but needs to build paragraph skills, and just get work done quickly.

WT is more teacher intensive, but gives the child more guided practice. It is much better for the child who writes because they have to, or the child who really needs to be interested in something to do a decent job at it. WT is much more interesting than JR.