Menu

Sat ii and ap?

Would it be weird to do both? I was thinking of my son doing AP Statistics and AP American history and SAT II's in Math 1 and American history. He would be taking 4 tests in a week, but then his school year would be over and we would be off to London/Normandy. I'm not sure what school he will be going to, so that way he would have some SAT II's under his belt. He will just be a 10th grader next year. It would just be a good year as he is taking AP statistics with PA homeschoolers, it would be a perfect time for American history and it sounds like Math 1 is perfect after finishing Alg I, II and Geometry.

Christine

Just be sure that he has enough time to actually work through some study guides for the SAT2 as well as the AP exam.

The SAT2's are quite different from the AP exams, and while AP and SAT2 exams can conveniently be taken in close proximity, you do want to study for each exam individually.

Doing both is a completely acceptable option. However, we didn't do any SAT IIs here. My daughter was just too tested out. She didn't apply to any schools that needed them. I'm not sure which schools do. I know the Univ of CA used to, but I think I recall that they were giving them up(?).

You might want to do a quick check to see which colleges want the SAT IIs. It could be a lot of state schools or "selective" schools are still using them a lot.

My dd did this last year but she had more than a week between APs and SATs - I guess it depends on which APs you're taking (I think hers were in the 2nd week last year but I can't remember). She did fine - broke the bank on study guides :p but she scored really well.

One thing about the math SATIIs: the Math 1 is notorious for its brutal curve. One mistake can keep the student from getting an 800. The Math 2, on the other hand, has a much more forgiving curve and even several wrong answers can still result in an 800.

One thing about the math SATIIs: the Math 1 is notorious for its brutal curve. One mistake can keep the student from getting an 800. The Math 2, on the other hand, has a much more forgiving curve and even several wrong answers can still result in an 800.

That's true, but more advanced math is needed for the Math 2 test.

That's true' date=' but more advanced math is needed for the Math 2 test.[/quote']

I've read repeatedly that the brutal curve in Math I is because it is viewed as the "I need to take a SAT II in Math, so I will take the one that the standard math courses of high school cover".

The SAT II Math 2 test is the "more advanced" test - the one that only kids who went "above and beyond" in math (so to speak) are able to do well on.

My child has taken neither yet, so I can't vouch for the validity of that statement.

a

The Math 1 covers all the math typically covered in Algebra I and II and Geometry. The Math 2 covers all of that as well as more advanced trig and logarithms of pre-calculus. I think that a lot of students who have the advanced math still take the Math 1, so that makes it harder to get a higher percentage as so many are getting 800 or very close to that. Whereas fewer want to take the Math 2 and risk getting lower than a 800. But as you said, the same score in both will have a higher percentage in the Math 2, and there's more wiggle room in qualifying for a higher score in Math 2 as well. The tests are only one hour long, so it makes sense to take both. You can select which scores are sent to the colleges. :)

The reason I was going to have him take Math I is that he would only have taken math through Alg. II. I planned to have him do Math 2 after precalculus or should I wait until he does Calculus?

Christine

Our experience was to take SAT Math 2 after PreCalc and skip Math 1 test altogether. The colleges he applied to this past year seemed to like that plan.

Our experience was to take SAT Math 2 after PreCalc and skip Math 1 test altogether. The colleges he applied to this past year seemed to like that plan.

Yes, my daughter did this too. I believe it would be redundant to take both the Math Level I and II tests.

And to answer your original question, Christine, my daughter took the SAT subject test in American history on the heels of having taken the AP US History test. She took it in June which gave her the about a month to review after having taken the AP exam. (She also took the Latin SAT subject test after taking AP Latin.)

Regards,

Kareni