Menu

Here is another thing I think the newbies should know

Guest Alte Veste Academy
Enjoy how? I have OneNote but no clue what to do with it. :confused:

:lol: Exactly! I remember someone pointing out this program a year or so ago and told of all the nifty things they could do with it. I opened it up, looked at the blank screen and thought huh?

I'm looking again today and had the same feeling. I've got a bit of time to spend and clicked on the help button at the top of the screen. Do that and there will be a "getting started" button to hit that tells you all about it. I think I'll read and play...

When I opened One Note it went right to a tutorial page and I read it and started using it. It's pretty awesome. Basically if you see something on a website and you want to save a screen shot and then add notes (like the link to the site and why you might want to use this for a future lesson) you just hold down your "windows" key and hit S then highlight the part you want to save. It takes a screen shot and opens One Note and saves it to an "unfiled page" then you can add notes to that and from there you can go to "File--New--Notebook" and make a notebook then drag your unfiled pages into the notebook...

When I opened One Note it went right to a tutorial page and I read it and started using it. It's pretty awesome. Basically if you see something on a website and you want to save a screen shot and then add notes (like the link to the site and why you might want to use this for a future lesson) you just hold down your "windows" key and hit S then highlight the part you want to save. It takes a screen shot and opens One Note and saves it to an "unfiled page" then you can add notes to that and from there you can go to "File--New--Notebook" and make a notebook then drag your unfiled pages into the notebook...

A cool feature :iagree:but not what I use it for.

I do my yearly planning there. Each year has a folder (well, for the last two, anyway) and w/in each folder each subject has a tab. My tabs for this year are

Curriculum Overview and Schedule -- I list all our subjects and curriculum. I also have our master schedule here. REally, It looks like a schedule and it doesn indeed show the schedule for our online and outside classes. The rest of the schedule just makes me sure that we can fit it all in.

Then I have a tab for Math, Language Arts, History, Fine and Domestic Arts, Science, et c. In each tab I state and describe the curriculum and my own goals. I also have a tab, if you can believe it, labeled Weaknesses. At the end of each year I try to identify the major weakness and try to think of ways to combat it. In the weakness tab I describe the weakness and what steps I'm taking to overcome it. This year's weakness, sorry to perpetuate the stereotype, is meeting deadlines. So, I've discussed how we're tackling that. I'm thinking of changing that label to Growth or something but haven't yet.

So, I use it as a planning tool.

I have been thinking of storing photos by school theme but haven't tried it. I saw something like that on the tute. Say we're studying Greek history (next year) and we study Archimedes. If she makes the Archimedian Screw, does the displacement experiment, and writes a paper re the war in which he was killed or the ways he helped working folk, I could make a tab and scan in the paper and download pix from the screw and experiments. I didn't do it last year but I'm thinking of just making a section of work samples and doing the above or making a work samples tab. I don't know, yet. Next year is a whole summer away.

let me see if I can copy over a sample

Mary Grace will continue into Latin 200 using Lingua Latina by Orberg. Mrs. Karppinen at Lonepine Classical school will be her teacher. Class time: 9.15 - 10.30 am, Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Mary Grace will be expected to understand and produce Latin w/in the following constructs (as well as material covered in Latin 100): passive verbs; regular, comparative, superlative adverbs; active and passive imperfect; active and passive future; active and passive perfect infinitive; supine; future participles and future infinitive; pluperfect active and passive; imperative of deponent; gerund; perfect subjunctive; pluperfect subjunctive, future imperative; analyzing poetry. In addition, the following will be covered: Roman history and mythology, biography, customs/culture, English derivatives and SAT vocabulary.

I still need to add the project and journal infor but I'm not sure about it exactly. When I have it, though, it will go in the description, too.

Anyway, that's how I use it.

Sorry to everyone in advance that this post is so long, but I am an ardent OneNote lover.

OK, I'm going to jump in on this one! I have used OneNote for the past 3 years for EVERYTHING having to do with homeschooling. Personally, I think it is the best thing on the market for keeping track of all of the homeschooling odds and ends, research, and planning. Also, if you're a person who likes to set-up your own scheduling/lesson plan pages like I do, you will love this program.

OneNote is like having a wall full of file drawers where I keep ALL of my info in one place. I set up a new "notebook" each year for school and just move my "research files" that I have been accumulating for years into it. My scheduling page this past year was set up by week number and had:

- a brief calendar of events scheduled for the week at the top

- items I may need to purchase or pull together

- a grid of my ds's schedule in one color

- my dd's in another color

- a teacher's log/journal that I jotted how the day went each day and any prep I may need to do

- I input pictures of field trips and projects from the week under that

- I scanned any papers such as brochures from field trips, awards, etc.

I used pages such as Donna Young's scheduling pages and even tips from this forum (thank you!), then tweaked them until I found what worked for me.

I can look back at any week and have everything we did in one place. I have another page where I linked Excel, I click on it and it takes me directly to my attendance page. I can link contacts from Outlook and papers from Word.

I've made files for every subject (like history for example) with subpages (like Middle Ages or Civil War) and anytime I see a great reference (as in a tip from this forum) I just put in that page with a note and a link. I also have pages for things like Year Planners, Goals, Grades, teaching tips, tea time tips, high school advanced planning, college info, quotes I like, etc.

I even have separate notebooks set up for things like household organization, cooking, landscaping idea, personal (gift ideas, personal books I want to read, etc.)

As you can tell, I love this program and can't imagine homeschooling without it. My husband (who works in sales management for a major computer-related company) uses for it for everything he does and kept after me until I tried it. Boy, am I glad he did. I've been a bit reluctant to say anything about it here because I showed it to my homeschool group a couple of years ago and they looked at me as if I'd grown two heads. I walked in the meeting with my laptop (the only one who brought one to a meeting about scheduling) and they just didn't seem to get it.

My husband said to let anyone know who was interested in it to look at a website called Journeyed.com. They are offering the NEW Office Professional Plus 2010 (hitting retail shelves on June 15th) for $79.00 to students, faculty and homeschoolers ONLY. The commercial retail price is $499.95. You will not believe all of the Microsoft programs included in this offer. Word, Powerpoint, Outlook, Excel, OneNote, Publisher, Access, InfoPath, and more.

http://www.journeyed.com/item/Microsoft/Office%20Professional/38441473LARS

Here is Journey Ed's profile if you haven't already heard about them:

Journey Education Marketing ("JourneyEd") based in Dallas, Texas, is the leading multi-channel software marketer to the K-12 and post-secondary academic markets, which include students, faculty, staff, educational institutions and public school districts. These markets are unique in that the academic versions of software/hardware are sold at a deep discount, even though they are typically identical to the full price commercial versions. In order to protect their margins, it is imperative that software/hardware vendors ensure that these deeply discounted products are sold only to qualified students, faculty/staff and educational institutions. JourneyEd is a leader in the business of verifying academic buyers and a preferred software/hardware marketer for the largest software/hardware companies, including Adobe, Autodesk, Avid, Corel, and Microsoft.

They only sell to students, faculty and homeschoolers. You will need to register and show valid proof of homeschooling.

Thanks for listening to me spout off about my homeschooling, organization passion - OneNote.

A cool feature :iagree:but not what I use it for.

I do my yearly planning there. Each year has a folder (well, for the last two, anyway) and w/in each folder each subject has a tab. My tabs for this year are

Curriculum Overview and Schedule -- I list all our subjects and curriculum. I also have our master schedule here. REally, It looks like a schedule and it doesn indeed show the schedule for our online and outside classes. The rest of the schedule just makes me sure that we can fit it all in.

Then I have a tab for Math, Language Arts, History, Fine and Domestic Arts, Science, et c. In each tab I state and describe the curriculum and my own goals. I also have a tab, if you can believe it, labeled Weaknesses. At the end of each year I try to identify the major weakness and try to think of ways to combat it. In the weakness tab I describe the weakness and what steps I'm taking to overcome it. This year's weakness, sorry to perpetuate the stereotype, is meeting deadlines. So, I've discussed how we're tackling that. I'm thinking of changing that label to Growth or something but haven't yet.

So, I use it as a planning tool.

We must have been posting at the same time!! It's so nice to see someone else who likes and uses OneNote!!!!

I've felt so alone.:(

They are offering the NEW Office Professional Plus 2010 (hitting retail shelves on June 15th) for $79.00 to students, faculty and homeschoolers ONLY. The commercial retail price is $499.95. You will not believe all of the Microsoft programs included in this offer. Word, Powerpoint, Outlook, Excel, OneNote, Publisher, Access, InfoPath, and more.]

Wow, I sure wish they had this for the Mac!

JourneyEd is a great site. But watch the prices, they do fluctuate sometimes, as well as what is offered. There is also Academic Superstore, which has a link through the Homeschool Co-op. The prices are generally the same both places, as are the "hoops" for homeschoolers. I purchased through my college ID, so I don't know how it goes for homeschoolers.

I don't have One Note and I've never seen it, but there's an online program called EverNote. It sounds similar.

They are similar. Evernote is web-based, therefore you can access it from any computer with internet access (smart phones too, my Palm Pre has the app :D). So while I love OneNote for some things, I generally prefer Evernote for the accessibility. Though I hear Office 2010 is going to have more online options; just don't know if that will include OneNote. I hope so!

OneNote is a bit more flexible since you can literally put your cursor anywhere on the page to paste/type. Evernote doesn't have that ability, so that's a definite limitation. I tend to use OneNote for things I don't need easy access to and Evernote for what I want to have more readily available.

Sorry to everyone in advance that this post is so long, but I am an ardent OneNote lover.

OK, I'm going to jump in on this one! I have used OneNote for the past 3 years for EVERYTHING having to do with homeschooling. Personally, I think it is the best thing on the market for keeping track of all of the homeschooling odds and ends, research, and planning. Also, if you're a person who likes to set-up your own scheduling/lesson plan pages like I do, you will love this program.

OneNote is like having a wall full of file drawers where I keep ALL of my info in one place. I set up a new "notebook" each year for school and just move my "research files" that I have been accumulating for years into it. My scheduling page this past year was set up by week number and had:

- a brief calendar of events scheduled for the week at the top

- items I may need to purchase or pull together

- a grid of my ds's schedule in one color

- my dd's in another color

- a teacher's log/journal that I jotted how the day went each day and any prep I may need to do

- I input pictures of field trips and projects from the week under that

- I scanned any papers such as brochures from field trips, awards, etc.

I used pages such as Donna Young's scheduling pages and even tips from this forum (thank you!), then tweaked them until I found what worked for me.

I can look back at any week and have everything we did in one place. I have another page where I linked Excel, I click on it and it takes me directly to my attendance page. I can link contacts from Outlook and papers from Word.

I've made files for every subject (like history for example) with subpages (like Middle Ages or Civil War) and anytime I see a great reference (as in a tip from this forum) I just put in that page with a note and a link. I also have pages for things like Year Planners, Goals, Grades, teaching tips, tea time tips, high school advanced planning, college info, quotes I like, etc.

I even have separate notebooks set up for things like household organization, cooking, landscaping idea, personal (gift ideas, personal books I want to read, etc.)

As you can tell, I love this program and can't imagine homeschooling without it. My husband (who works in sales management for a major computer-related company) uses for it for everything he does and kept after me until I tried it. Boy, am I glad he did. I've been a bit reluctant to say anything about it here because I showed it to my homeschool group a couple of years ago and they looked at me as if I'd grown two heads. I walked in the meeting with my laptop (the only one who brought one to a meeting about scheduling) and they just didn't seem to get it.

My husband said to let anyone know who was interested in it to look at a website called Journeyed.com. They are offering the NEW Office Professional Plus 2010 (hitting retail shelves on June 15th) for $79.00 to students, faculty and homeschoolers ONLY. The commercial retail price is $499.95. You will not believe all of the Microsoft programs included in this offer. Word, Powerpoint, Outlook, Excel, OneNote, Publisher, Access, InfoPath, and more.

http://www.journeyed.com/item/Microsoft/Office%20Professional/38441473LARS

Here is Journey Ed's profile if you haven't already heard about them:

Journey Education Marketing ("JourneyEd") based in Dallas, Texas, is the leading multi-channel software marketer to the K-12 and post-secondary academic markets, which include students, faculty, staff, educational institutions and public school districts. These markets are unique in that the academic versions of software/hardware are sold at a deep discount, even though they are typically identical to the full price commercial versions. In order to protect their margins, it is imperative that software/hardware vendors ensure that these deeply discounted products are sold only to qualified students, faculty/staff and educational institutions. JourneyEd is a leader in the business of verifying academic buyers and a preferred software/hardware marketer for the largest software/hardware companies, including Adobe, Autodesk, Avid, Corel, and Microsoft.

They only sell to students, faculty and homeschoolers. You will need to register and show valid proof of homeschooling.

Thanks for listening to me spout off about my homeschooling, organization passion - OneNote.

When I clicked on the link and entered my state/homeschool status, it said I wasn't eligible. Are only hsers in certain states eligible, or did I do something wrong? BTW, thanks so much for the info.!

When I clicked on the link and entered my state/homeschool status, it said I wasn't eligible. Are only hsers in certain states eligible, or did I do something wrong? BTW, thanks so much for the info.!

Try this link instead and see if this helps, the other link was a bit "round about to get there":

www.journeyed.com/select

I just went through the purchase process all the way up to pushing the final "buy now" button and it worked fine. I don't know of any states that are excluded and I couldn't find anything in their "terms of agreement". They just won't ship until they've received verification.

Hope this works for you!