Menu

My Cue Cat Arrived!

I found it a bit tedious to use. Kids & I started out with it a couple afternoons & then we fizzled out. I'll be re-organizing bookshelves this summer so maybe then.

I found having to scan & then key in or select with the mouse kind of a pita. I was probably making it too complicated but the only way I thought this would be of any help would be if I categorized &/or tagged as I went but that adds a fair bit of time.

And at one point I thought WHY am I doing this again?

:lurk5:

keep us posted, I've been considering getting one, but I'm on the fence about whether it would be a frivilous purchase for us.

I've only done one double stacked shelf, but here are my initial thoughts:

This only works if you have ISBN bar codes on your books. While this may seem obvious, I hadn't really thought about the fact that even my books from the 1980s don't have bar codes. So those have to be entered manually. So far about 50% of my books don't have bar codes. Of those, about half don't even have ISBN codes. But so far only one book hasn't been found by the system (a book in Turkish and I'm not surprised).

The "cat" scanned and the system found Turkish language books based on their bar codes.

If the "cat" finds the book it is automatically added. I will have to go back later and do tags, which will be essential for library management here.

Even if it reduces work for only half the books, I think it's worth it. I don't have to type in the ISBN or title, scroll the found books, scan and decide if that specific edition of "Lord Jim" is my book or not.