Menu

Religious Studies?

keptwoman

Yes, it's a shame isn't it? We did study it (as Calvin hadn't done much Christian studies) but would have preferred more. I like One world Many Religions for younger children, but haven't found anything very good for olders.

Laura

I wonder if Stephen Prothero's new book God is Not One would be appropriate? I want to read it this summer, but don't have it in hand yet.

Sandra, I am currently using the World Religions download from Teacher Created Resources which is available at Curr-click. We started our ancient history studies this year by folding in readings from The Usborne Encyclopedia of World Religions at the appropriate time in history.

We found the book to be a good overview and more than sufficient if you didn't want to create a separate course. However, my son wanted to dig deeper and someone on this board recommended the World Religions packet. We get the most mileage out of it when we tie it into our literature reading. For example, we are finishing our year with our study of Rome and this included reading The Bronze Bow. While we read the book, we started the section on Christianity in the World Religions. They complemented each other well and gave my son a deeper understanding of what was occurring at that time. I have mixed feelings about about the questions in the program. They check comprehension but don't dig deeper, but then it is used in the ps system so I am not sure how far you could go.

Our favorite discussions stemmed from our study of Hinduism (really liked the unit) and our reading of Lloyd Alexander's The Iron Ring which is a fantasy that has strong roots in Hinduism and Indian mythology. The main character goes on a quest and along the way he meets several different characters who interpret dharma in a variety of ways. This was the first time my son (6th grade) read a book and was able to identify philosophical questions. Egads! The boy nearly started a riot at the dinner table with his older siblings.

If I had my way or rather the creativity and knowledge, each of our religion studies would have involved that level of questioning and discussion. It was homeschooling at its finest in our house.

I probably should have asked the ages of you children and your goals before I wrote a dissertation.

I wonder if Stephen Prothero's new book God is Not One would be appropriate? I want to read it this summer, but don't have it in hand yet.

This looks good. I wonder if we could use this to build on the foundation we established this year. Thinking out loud here. Where's NicoleM when you need her? I think she is a Prothero fan and perhaps could answer this question.

Thank you all!! I'll check out your recommendations.

Lisa, we will be heading back to Ancients next year, and I do feel that it's something that would fit in nicely with it. My childrens ages are in my signature, J will probably only be marginally involved as he has a pretty heavy workload, it's mostly for the younger two. I'll be doing SOTW with DD, and either Sonlight 6 or TWTM reading list (or a combo) with C.

While they can be expensive - I'm a fan of Teaching Company courses and they have a 5 course program of world religions.

http://www.teach12.com/ttcx/coursedesclong2.aspx?cid=6100

I have this program in my cart at the moment. I am currently considering adding it to our Greek studies this coming year.

http://www.teach12.com/ttcx/coursedesclong2.aspx?cid=6312