Menu

WWE and an "Ah ha" moment

My son has been doing WWE for 2 years now. I would call him a struggling writer so we have some good days writing and some bad. Usually the first thing out of his mouth when I ask him to sit down is "Am I going to have to write today?"

Today (after getting the usual question), we sat down and worked on week 28 of WWE 3. His narration went fairly smoothly (unlike yesterday) but instead of dictating it back to him to write, the lesson instructed me to have him dictate back to himself the narration that he just gave me. He thought for a moment and started writing (with only a couple of hints from me). At the end, he was excited and shouted, "I did it!" It told him that's all writing is...dictating something to yourself and writing it down. He answered, "well, that's not too hard."

:hurray: I know we still have much work to do though. He definitely struggles being able to articulate his ideas into sentences but I'm so excited for him. Hopefully, this revelation will take some of his anxiety away. I just keep remembering the old saying..."slow and steady wins the race." I also get encouraged by SWB's reminder that my goal isn't to have a good 4th grade writer, but a good high school writer.

we sat down and worked on week 28 of WWE 3. His narration went fairly smoothly (unlike yesterday) but instead of dictating it back to him to write, the lesson instructed me to have him dictate back to himself the narration that he just gave me. He thought for a moment and started writing (with only a couple of hints from me). At the end, he was excited and shouted, "I did it!" It told him that's all writing is...dictating something to yourself and writing it down. He answered, "well, that's not too hard."

Yay! You should send this bit in to PHP as a testimonial!