Menu

Sinus infection: do I need to see a dr?

For the past couple of days I've had allergy symptoms (runny nose). This morning I awakened with sharp tooth pain on one side (sinus swelling must be affecting tooth nerves) and thick yellow mucus. I am miserable!

Is this a wait-it-out or see the dr? Any recommendations for the best otc meds for this pain?

The best OTC stuff is Mucinex-D (you'll have to ask for it at a pharmacy because of the pseudoephedrine) and ibuprofen (to help with the inflammation). And lots and lots and lots of water.

And if you're dealing with allergies too, you'll need an antihistamine.

A sinus rinse (I use the Neil Med one sold at most drug stores) can be *tremendously* helpful as well, if you can get over your initial intimidation. It feels sort of like when water goes up your nose while swimming.

It may be that you're catching it soon enough that you can treat it at home and be okay. But if you're still just as miserable tomorrow after treating it? I'd try to get in to a doctor before the weekend.

I agree with the rinse. Around here, doctors aren't treating with antibiotics until you've at least tried the rinses for awhile. My dd recently had a sinus infection and it cleared up within a few days with the rinse.

Another vote for the rinse. I was able to knock out a sinus infection using my neti pot three times a day. I put three drops of grapefruit seed extract in the water along with the NeilMed packet. The key is to keep doing it for several days after you start to feel better.

I also drank lots of hot liquid, herbal tea and, three times a day, (this will sound gross, fair warning) three tablespoons of apple cider vinegar & some honey in a cup of boiling water.

Sinus infections are just miserable. Hope you get relief soon.

Also, go to a health food store and pick up some NAC (N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine). It's an amino acid that binds to mucous. It will help clear you up fast. My d.s. who is prone to sinus infections takes it when he feels one coming on and he starts draining almost immediately.

:grouphug: I hope you feel better soon!

I always go to the dr. when I get like this. Haven't had much luck with other treatments.

This has been my experience, too, unfortunately. It depends on the person's immune system, I guess. But once I have the kind of symptoms that the OP is talking about, it's a definite trip to the doctor. The rinses work really well for prevention, but for me at least, not once there is an infection.