Menu

Sonlight or TWTM...

michaeljenn

I just cannot make up my mind about what to use next year. I really thought I wanted to go with Sonlight 7 next year, but am know thinking of just pulling my own thing together via TWTM.

We are finishing up SOTW 2 right now. We also have been using the Kingfisher and extra library books, and novels thrown in. It has been ok.. I think if I would have taken the summer to plan more, it would have been better.

So I guess I am asking for opinions here. Is Sonlight 7 any good? Or should I just keep doing it TWTM... and just get some book recommendations??

Help

I just cannot make up my mind about what to use next year. I really thought I wanted to go with Sonlight 7 next year, but am know thinking of just pulling my own thing together via TWTM.

We are finishing up SOTW 2 right now. We also have been using the Kingfisher and extra library books, and novels thrown in. It has been ok.. I think if I would have taken the summer to plan more, it would have been better.

So I guess I am asking for opinions here. Is Sonlight 7 any good? Or should I just keep doing it TWTM... and just get some book recommendations??

Help

You could do your thing via TWTM (which, nearing the end of my 4th year using WTM methods, I am very pleased with and looking forward to more), and add in Sonlight recommended books for each history period/study stage. There is a list out there somewhere that merges Sonlight's book lists with the grammar/logic/rhetoric stages. I pull lots of books from that list.

The whole premise of Sonlight 6 and 7 has always bothered me--it just seems awfully fast to go through all of world history in only 2 years.

Personally, I planned to finish all of SOTW and then do Sonlight 5, and then do a focussed US history study, like maybe Sonlight 100.

But I changed and am using SOTW3 as a jumping off point for more American history that I am teaching with the help of the "Story of the 13 Colonies" and "...New Republic" books, along with some help from the Steward Ship unit studies and the Beautiful Feet middle school books. This is taking longer than I had planned for SOTW3, but it is including lots of the American history that I had thought I would not cover until 8th or 9th grade. Then I'm planning to integrate SOTW4 with the upcoming All American History Volume 2, as well as lots and lots of Marrin and other living books for the late 19th through early 20th century. So these will probably squeeze out Sonlight 5, although I think we will do some short units on Japan and Korea and maybe China during the summer or as breaks from our relentless march through history.

This is my pattern. I keep thinking that I'm going to get around to using Sonlight, and I keep not doing it. I think that I just like history and books too much to fit into someone else's program, and I like SOTW and other books too much to be willing to rush them.

I should probably just quit looking at that ever seductive Sonlight catalogue and get real. I'll probably never do Sonlight. I'm almost that type, but not quite.

the summer or as breaks from our relentless march through history.

This is my pattern. I keep thinking that I'm going to get around to using Sonlight, and I keep not doing it. I think that I just like history and books too much to fit into someone else's program, and I like SOTW and other books too much to be willing to rush them.

I should probably just quit looking at that ever seductive Sonlight catalogue and get real. I'll probably never do Sonlight. I'm almost that type, but not quite.

Every time that Sonlight catalogue shows up I am tempted to buy a core and try it out. I think I am too tied to WTM and to my rebellion against following someone else's schedule :001_huh:.

M&M- Well, see, I think this may be the reason I want to go with Sonlight 7. I just got my catalogue and it just seems sooooo appealing. BUT, I can be a bit of a rebel myself:D

I also agree with Carol, who said that core 7 just goes waay to fast through those 2 time periods. I agree and thought about just taking 2 years to get through the core. SIGH;.. I just don't know

They have great marketing! I felt seduced into buying a core again... and I just sold core 6 and 7, deciding I really didn't need them! I think I love the concept of Sonlight, but core 7 does seem to go over alot of history and readers in one year. And we probably wouldn't use half of the readers, but substitute in our own, more classic WTM recommendations... And I would probably do it over 2 years, and make my own schedule. Sooo, we've decided not to buy Sonlight, but use some of their books incorporated into our own thing. I feel for you, I keep going back and forth with just using Sonlight or WTM, and now Ambleside (that's a whole 'nother story)...

Anita.. you said..

[ I feel for you, I keep going back and forth with just using Sonlight or WTM, and now Ambleside (that's a whole 'nother story)...

LOL... This is ME!! Sonlight, WTM, and Ambleside... I keep running the bases with all three of these! :lol:

I think the problem is that they all three are truly great programs, and we feel as if we will "miss out" on something! At least that is how I feel. Honestly, though, TWTM just makes sense to me. BUT, if it is all laid out for me that would be great!

Nope.. not even close to a decision yet:banghead:

. I feel for you, I keep going back and forth with just using Sonlight or WTM, and now Ambleside (that's a whole 'nother story)...

:iagree: I have the same thing with Ambleside. I want to try it, but how do you do it with 5 dc?

And the idea of trying Sonlight, liking it and doing several cores at the same time , well:willy_nilly:.

I decided on Tapestry of Grace so that I could try to stay sane :lol:

M&M- Well, see, I think this may be the reason I want to go with Sonlight 7. I just got my catalogue and it just seems sooooo appealing. BUT, I can be a bit of a rebel myself:D

I tried MFW thinking that I could do the schedule and I just couldn't. So this year we went with Tapestry of Grace, so I could have some structure and still do my own thing with some WTM and CM mixed in.

Monique..

Actually TOG was on my list to look at, but I thought it would be too intense. Is it not?

I think that the classic (which I am using) can be very challenging. It took me a long time to find a groove that works. Btw, we will be doing the redesign next year and it looks great!

BUT, what TOG does for me is it allows me to follow WTM's neo-classical style and helps me to learn how to teach. I had no clue on how the socratic method of teaching was going to happen in our house. I am still learning, but I feel much more prepared to teach. I am learning along with and ahead of my dc. This is something I didn't think I had time to do, but I am!

As far as intense, no. I have a friend who has been hsing longer than I.

When she read WTM, she totally freaked out :willy_nilly: (no kidding).

There were too many choices, too much to do, she couldn't take it all in. I think that TOG does the same for many people. But when you break it down there are spine books, history reading, literature reading, supplements, etc. You choose what you want to do (just like WTM or SOTW w/activity guide) and then use the notes to get up to speed.

We're in the same boat. Lots of choices to make. We discovered Winter Promise last year and have done Quest for the Ancients. My dd really enjoys the Make Your Own history pages and I really like Mystery of History, but we added in the readers from the first half of core 6 because dd didn't like the ones with WP.

Next year we are either going to continue with WP using Middle Ages or do the 2nd half of Core 6, then take 18 mos. to do core 7. But then I hear about TOG and I am very tempted to give them a try, especially as I've heard those teachers manuals are worth their weight in gold.

So many decisions...

Ava