Menu

grammar for 5th grader - need simple

ktgrok

This is going to be our first year homeschooling, and I don't want to overwhelm us. We will be using TOG year one, math mammoth, and random science things. I would also like to do some limited handwriting work - mostly writing letters to family I think. Oh,and maybe typing and Rosetta Stone Spanish (we already have a copy). So that doesn't leave a lot off time for more stuff, but he needs some basic grammar education. I don't need anything real heavy, and don't have much money to spend. Can anyone point me to a cheap, fast program that won't take much time, but will eventually cover everything?

Rod and Staff English would if you do the lessons orally, with diagramming on the white board. If he hasn't had any grammar you may want to consider the grade 4 book. It's open and go, with lots of help for you in the TE.

Also take a look at Christian Light Education's LA. I know that it includes penmanship and spelling in the early years, I assume that is carried throughout the series. It is very thorough and everything is contained in the workbook for the student. (You can see samples by clicking on the grade level and then clicking on the individual numbers for the lightunits.)

I second Rod and Staff--easy explanations, do it orally (mostly), start with 4th grade book (tell dc it's way, way advanced--it is, sort of).

Easy for you--cheap, a lesson every day that is scripted, with review built right in. Great TM, really great.

Take a look at Growing With Grammar. I think it satisfies all of your requirements. :)

:iagree: My dd12 loves the simplicity of the program. We read the student text and she does the exercises in her student workbook. It's easy to understand, and it has diagramming. In fact, she thinks it should have more diagramming. She loves it. :)

I really like these - nice, simple, cheap, answer keys in the back. We hated JAG and I wasn't about to fork out too much $ for anything else. I have ordered the Steck Vaughn books and am looking forward to them. I think they might be even better.

Thanks everyone, the Grammar Simplified looks perfect, and the fact that it is doe independently is great, as he is very much an autodidactic learner. And he loved highlights magazine when he was younger, so I bet he will like their grammar program. Thank you soooo much!