Menu

Washington Homeschool Convention in June...

I just made our hotel reservations!

Who is going? Are any of you bringing your kids? I'm thinking of bringing my dd 10. I heard they have activities for kids.

Have you seen the line-up? Its awesome! I'm officially an SWB groupie -- so I will be in 7th heaven :)

008 WHO Convention Speaker Workshops

Below is a sneak-peak at the 2008 Homeschool Convention speaker workshops. Plan now to attend the Convention on Friday and Saturday, June 13-14th at the Western Washington Fairgrounds in Puyallup! For complete information, see http://www.washhomeschool.org/images/ConferenceHome.html.

FRIDAY, June 13th

9:30-10:30

Room 1 - Math in the Real World – Tara Atkinson

Room 2 - Intro to Homeschooling – Celiane and Ron Limes

Room 3 - Joy of Classical Education: An Introduction

- Susan Wise Bauer

11:00-12:00

Room 1 - Dads: The Men in the Gap – Wade Hulcy

Room 2 - LapBooking 101 - Tina Joyce

Room 3 - The Four Deadly Errors of Teaching Writing

- Andrew Pudewa

12:30-1:30

Room 1 - Homeschooling Gifted Children – Lee Binz

Room 2 - Homeschooling High School – Janice Hedin

Room 3 - Great Books: History as Literature - Susan Wise Bauer

2:00-3:00

Room 1 - HomeGrown Success: A Young Adult Homeschooled Panel

Room 2 - Child Author and History Buff ....Adora Svitak

Room 3 - Teaching Boys & Other Children Who Would Rather

Make Forts – Andrew Pudewa

3:30-5:00

Room 3 - Internet Safety for Home Educators (1.5 hours) - Linda Criddle

SATURDAY, June 14th

9:30-10:30

Room 1 - The Child-Led-Elective Education - Tara Atkinson

Room 2 - Intro to Homeschooling - Celiane and Ron Limes

Room 3 - The Well-Trained Mind: Classical Education,

Grades 5-8 - Susan Wise Bauer

11:00 – 12:00

Room 1 - Supporting the Creative Student – JoAnn Andro

Room 2 - Unit Studies: Fun to Teach; Fun to Learn - Doreen Blanding

Room 3 - "Freedomship" Education Paradigm: The Essence of

Teaching - Andrew Pudewa (Continued next page)

13 April 2008

12:30- 1:30

Room 1 - Struglin Laerners: How 2 Make Them Sor! - Wade Hulcy

Room 2 - The Purpose of Passion – Dr. Stephen Guffanti

Room 3 - Preparing for College Admissions - Susan Wise Bauer

2:00-3:00

Room 1 - Theater Games for 7th grade + (1.5 hours) – Sara McMahon

Room 2 - LapBooking 101 – Tina Joyce

Room 3 - Nurturing Confident Communicators – Andrew Pudewa

I'll be there!

Here is the link for all the workshops scheduled. The ones listed above are the WHO sponsored workshops. There are a lot of other workshops that other companies (exibhitor workshops) will be providing, like Tapestry of Grace, WriteShop, Art Attack (Atelier), Total Language Plus, and so many more!!! :D The line up is AWESOME!

WHO Workshops

I'd be driving over in a heartbeat, but we are leaving for vacation that same week. I was so disappointed when I found out that was the weekend because I really wanted to go. I drove to Seattle last time SWB was speaking in Seattle she is well worth the drive. I also enjoy Andrew Pudewa.

I would love to make the drive up to Seattle and listen to SWB. Just not sure I can swing it. That's the last day of school for my kids at their private school and I feel like I should be there to pick them up. I may have to see if I can go up for Saturday morning so I could at least catch the 5-8 grade talk since my oldest is a 5th grader.

• 2 weeks later...

I would LOVE to go to this, but I could only go on Friday, if at all. Is there a way to get tapes of the workshops, does anyone know? I'd LOVE to go to the Preparing for College one, since I have a JR. in highschool, but I just can't be there that day. :(

I'm hoping to go for both days. I haven't decided if I'll bring my kids yet. In past years they have offered a debate workshop for teens. Last time I checked it wasn't listed on the website, so we're watching & waiting. If the debate workshop is a go I'll probably bring the kids because they really want to do that. Dh is really not a convention/workshop kind of guy but he'd probably come with us and just stay at the hotel and work. :001_smile: I haven't thought about hotel reservations yet. I think my in-laws' place in Everett is a bit too far away to commute.:auto:

Arwen, did you hear her speak when she was in BC? There aren't many good excuses to miss out on hearing Susan but I guess twin babies is a pretty good reason.;)

She was in BC?:confused:

:banghead: I missed it. :banghead: How on earth did I do that.

Michele~

Thanks for letting her know about it. :D

I am excited and a little nervous at the same time. I really want to encourage others to do them on their own and focus on that as much as possible.

I also will be hosting HOAC booth this year too.

It will be great to see you this year!

Oh are you making it to the Christian Heritage conference this year? I don't think I will be going, but I was wondering if you were going to head up here to attend it. :)

~Tina

I'm not going to the Christian Heritage Conference this year. I can really only afford the time and $$ to go to one on that side of the mtns., and when I saw Susan was coming to WHO that was the clincher for me. We are heading to Spokane for a swim meet next weekend so it worked out for the best. I am impatient, though. This time of year I start to get excited about next year, new stuff, etc. I need to buckle down and finish what we have! I did make it over to Math-n-stuff and Homeschool Potpourri during spring break so I got a little fix of curriculum shopping. I'll definitely look you up at a workshop or the HOAC booth. I'll be the one with the funny nose & glasses.:biggrinjester:

I am getting excited about next year too. What is with that? I am not even done with this years stuff and already planning out next years curr. It is a vicious cycle I tell ya. :)

Wow, it is next weekend... Man time sure does fly. I know I won't be there now... We are visiting with family that weekend. :)

It will be neat seeing you again. :D OH and I am hoping to see Susan speak too. I hope it works out for me to sneak away and get a chance to see her IRL.

Have a wonderful new week!

~Tina