Menu

Kindergarten Science

cdrumm4448

I would like to supplement dd for science. She sits in on big brother's experiments, but I would like an engaging storybook for her for science. I have considered looking at Sonlight's book list and just buying those. I do not want any worksheets.

Any other ideas for read-aloud science for Kindergarten? Thanks!

I'm not normally a Berenstain Bears fan (understatement), but the Berenstain Bears Big Book of Science and Nature came highly recommended from friends, and I believe Sonlight uses it as well. My 5 year old absolutely loved it, and had me read through it with him at least three times this past year. It would make a nice supplement. I bought ours used, on these boards I think.

If you want more of a Charlotte Mason approach, with lovely stories about nature, I would recommend Among the Meadow People, Among the Forest People et al. We have enjoyed them very much.

We are using:

Berenstain Bears Big Book of Science and Nature (noted in previous post)

Mudpies to Magnets (although it doesn't sound like you need experiments)

Anna Comstock's Handbook of Nature Study

and we are taking more of a unit study approach; similar to what is recommended for 1st grade in WTM - studying animals, plants, etc. In the library, we just find the section on whatever animal/plant my son wants to study and then get a bunch of books on it. (I'll also do a search ahead of time for fictional books about that animal, as well.) Then we'll read the books and then maybe do a lapbook or something hands-on with regards to what we've studied.

We also love the Let's Read and Find Out books. :)

Sonlight's P4/5 and K books are good. You might want to look at something like Science is Simple, too.

I frequently let Ariel go through the kids science book section at the library and pick whatever books catch her eye. She has learned quite a bit that way, particularly about animals (her favorite subject).

I'm not normally a Berenstain Bears fan (understatement), but the Berenstain Bears Big Book of Science and Nature came highly recommended from friends, and I believe Sonlight uses it as well. My 5 year old absolutely loved it, and had me read through it with him at least three times this past year. It would make a nice supplement. I bought ours used, on these boards I think.

If you want more of a Charlotte Mason approach, with lovely stories about nature, I would recommend Among the Meadow People, Among the Forest People et al. We have enjoyed them very much.

'

I adore Sonlights K Science, and the P 4/5 science ( Berestains book ), I also have all the Among the ____ People !!!

Anna Comstock's Handbook of Nature Study, we are waiting on this one..... I purchased it last week. The new one full of pictures !!!

Edited by alatexan68

I've heard good things about Robert Wells' books... http://www.amazon.com/Robert-E.-Wells/e/B001JRUMJC/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_1

:iagree: My six year old said to me today, "Mommy, we're walking on molecules. And the molecules are made of atoms. Here we are; we're getting into the molecule car and sitting in the molecule seat...."

We read Is There Anything Smaller Than a Pygmy Shrew a couple weeks ago. Guess it's still percolating.

'

I adore Sonlights K Science, and the P 4/5 science ( Berestains book ), I also have all the Among the ____ People !!!

Anna Comstock's Handbook of Nature Study, we are waiting on this one..... I purchased it last week. The new one full of pictures !!!

There's a new one full of pictures? :w00t::svengo:

There's a new one full of pictures? :w00t::svengo:

Yeppers, that's what I read on one of the reviews on Amazon..... a lady bought it by mistake and was really happy with it. The link looks the same.... but the new one is 2010 edition and $40 the old is $20.

I couldn't resist. I guess there are three versions, because someone else mentioned they had a newer version than the one on the Hand book of Nature Study blog, since her page numbers didn't agree. But it wasn't the one full of color pictures !

It should be here Monday at the latest I am betting........ will tell you what I think LOL.

I'm another fan of SL's P4/5 and K science books. They are all good and include most of what's been suggested already. Not a dud in the bunch. My dfil wants to borrow my copy of How to Lift a Lion by Robert Wells to show his college students. Many of them don't understand basic force concepts.

I just bought the K books this year without the IG or worksheets. We're doing Noeo, but those books looked too good to resist. The Usborne books (Tadpoles and Frogs, Caterpillars and Butterflies, etc.) are fabulous. We're using them as extra readers this year.

We also like the Sonlight science in P4/5 and K. The books are favorites of my older son well past when he did them, and now my younger one is loving them too.

We supplement with DK, etc., from the library. I just take them in the nonfiction section and my pre-K guy picks out a topic he wants to read about. Then we usually get a Gail Gibbons if there is one, a DK book, a Magic Schoolbus, etc., on the subject. I think there is another series called Rookie Reader if I'm remembering right.

My younger isn't as into the Usborne titles as my older, but some of them he does like.

In videos, they love Magic Schoolbus and also Sid the Science Kid.

My dd5 loves the Thames and Kosmos Little Labs. She's working her way through the Cars right now. She has learned a lot about gears and even made her own pulley. She just loves the fact that she has her own science kits. I have to make sure her older sister doesn't help (interfere) with the projects.

We also read lots of Magic School Bus books and lots of nature and science picture books. One her favorites is Where Butterlies Grow.. She has a couple of animal encylopedias that she takes to bed with her. Plus the Lets Read and Find Out science series is great for this age - there are books on just about any topic.

I know you mentioned books, but the PP reminded me that Ariel LOVES Sid the Science Kid. It explains science concepts in a child-friendly way. She is also a fan of The Jeff Corwin Experience (we rent the DVDs from the library). She was able to explain the differences between a crocodile and an alligator to DH, who didn't believe her until he saw the video. :lol: