Menu

Minnesota!!

I haven't had any problems finding homeschoolers in Roch but, non of them seem to take a classical approach.

I know quite a few homeschoolers in Rochester too, but very few classical ones. I have one friend who recently started, so it's fun to talk with her. Someone who actually understands me!

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
I'm moving to Apple Vally in 3 weeks! Anyone able to clue me in on how hsing works up there?

Welcome to MN! We moved here from California a couple of years ago. :)

It's actually very simple to homeschool in MN. Check out the information on the MHA website.

In the fall, you'll fill out the "Initial Report to Superintendent" form, and mail it to your school district office. Then each fall after that, you can just fill out the "Intent to Continue" form. The only other requirement is that you administer a "nationally normed standardized test" each year to your kids from 3rd grade on. There are loads of tests that meet this requirement, and you can administer one yourself or have someone else do it. You don't need to send the results to your district.

ECHO-MN is probably the best way to find homeschoolers and homeschool groups in your area.

The MN Association of Christian Home Educators (MACHE) is the statewide Christian homeschool organization. There are MACHE affiliated homeschool groups.

The Minnesota Homeschoolers' Alliance (MHA) is the statewide secular homeschool organization.

There are LOADS of co-ops in the greater Twin Cities area, if that's your thing.

Hope this points you in the right direction! :) Best of luck in your move!

• 2 months later...

Hello Minnesotans!

I've been reading the boards but just registered today. I'll be starting homeschooling my 3rd and 1st grade sons this year (my third son just turned 2). This board has been so helpful already!

I'm in the first-ring suburbs northwest of Mpls.

Hi Amy! I 'know' you from over at sewingmamas...we met at a sewing get-together.

Good luck with your hsing adventure! My dd is 9 and in 4th this year. This board has been a great source of knowledge and help for me. I don't know if you've been there, but there's a great curriculum store up in Elk River called Heppners. Nice to be able to see lots of curriculum in-person without all the hustle and bustle of a convention. If you have questions, you can always shoot me a pm. I may not have the answer, but I might be able to point you in the right direction.

Take care,

Sarah

Hello Minnesotans!

I've been reading the boards but just registered today. I'll be starting homeschooling my 3rd and 1st grade sons this year (my third son just turned 2). This board has been so helpful already!

I'm in the first-ring suburbs northwest of Mpls.

Hi Amy! I 'know' you from over at sewingmamas...we met at a sewing get-together.

Good luck with your hsing adventure! My dd is 9 and in 4th this year. This board has been a great source of knowledge and help for me. I don't know if you've been there, but there's a great curriculum store up in Elk River called Heppners. Nice to be able to see lots of curriculum in-person without all the hustle and bustle of a convention. If you have questions, you can always shoot me a pm. I may not have the answer, but I might be able to point you in the right direction.

Take care,

Sarah

Heppners is great! And if you are in need of a support group, TEAM (Teaching, Encouraging and Mentoring) will be starting up again in September. They meet at Twin Lakes Christian Church in Elk River the 2nd Monday of the month at 7:00pm. If you would like to join a smaller crowd for supper beforehand at Panera in Elk River (across from Walmart) at 5:30 feel free. The cost is $25 for the year to help pay for speakers or $5/meeting.

• 1 year later...

Heppners is great! And if you are in need of a support group, TEAM (Teaching, Encouraging and Mentoring) will be starting up again in September. They meet at Twin Lakes Christian Church in Elk River the 2nd Monday of the month at 7:00pm. If you would like to join a smaller crowd for supper beforehand at Panera in Elk River (across from Walmart) at 5:30 feel free. The cost is $25 for the year to help pay for speakers or $5/meeting.

Rachel,

Thanks for the info on this group - I didn't know they existed and will be checking them out in September for sure.

Do you ever attend these?

I'm moving to Apple Vally in 3 weeks! Anyone able to clue me in on how hsing works up there?

Hi there,

You've proably already found this link - but wanted to provide it anyway.

http://hsadventures.org/home -- just clikc on event calendar.

This gal put together an amazing list of events for homeschoolers to access field trip listings at various centers across the cities (Science and Nature etc.), rockclimbing,  schedule art classes, plays, you name it. It's awesome to have the whole year at a glance to plan trips around your lessons if you do that type of thing.

Hope you are enjoying MN!

• 2 weeks later...

We are looking at houses in Brimson MN. It's about 44 miles north of duluth. It'll be a huge change for us. Any helpful hints about the area?

Jen

Wow Jen that's up there. ! Nature studies will be a breeze in that beautiful part of the state.

It is a beloved area for me having traveled up to Lutsen every summer with 4 families growing up having bonfires on the rocks by Lake S. and digging for agates.

Duluth will have an array of fun services for you if you need them, they have a great aquarium and the area has much historical value to explore.

I know the real estate market is pretty tight up there right now ( good friend moving to Beaver Bay or trying to), but maybe since you are looking well off the lake there are more options.

Are you moving from another part of MN or another state?

If another state buy snowshoes, cross contry skis and a Polaris Ranger 4 x 4!!

Alissa,

Thanks! We are moving from the Chicago suburbs.  We have to sell a house down here so we will not be there full time for at least a year. I just started looking and we want something winter ready on a lake. Not lake superior. We are going up soon and the realtor has about 10 places to show us. I think they are all in saint Louis county. It seems like we will have to plan on driving into duluth for just about everything. I am really excited- this is something I always wanted to do but figured would never happen.

Jen

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like I've never checked in here, so I suppose I should get on that. ;)

We're in west central MN, in Alexandria.  If anyone in the area wants to get together for coffee, let me know! :D

Hi! I live in Rice, but my mom lives up in Alex and I go there a lot because of her health issues. I'm originally from Henning and my husband is from Glenwood. It would be cool to meet up sometime! 

We live in Rice, which is close to St. Cloud in central MN.