Menu

Wordly Wise vs. Vocab for High School Student: Which do you like?

Janie

I've used both of these. Before vocab materials were widely available, there was Wordly Wise. I used every book in the series for four kids. Then I found VocabHSS when youngest entered 8th grade. We used it for several years.

I love vocabulary materials, but I favor VocabHSS because of the variety of activities, but particularly because the words are grouped in similar categories. WW is just random words in a group with no much practice activities.

My HM asked me about using WW next year. I've been using VocabHSS and really am not anxious to change. I meet with him to discuss this next week, so I'd like for be able to really make my case of reasons for using VocabHSS.

If you can offer some differences, or reasons to use WW, please post!

Thanks!

In my opinion, Vocabulary for the High School Student and the next level up, Vocabulary for College are both far more complete than WW. I've used the entire series. (Vocabulary for Enjoyment 1, 11, 111, Vocab for the High School Student, and Vocab for College) All of my students, even my LD student, have scored very well on standardized tests. (Above grade level...in the 11th to college level.)

This series covers vocab from a variety of skill points.

simple retrieval/fill in the blank to analogy

root word identification

prefixes

suffixes

word building using prefixes and suffixes

synonyms

antonyms

concise use of the word (writing concisely)

compositional use of the word

There is nothing better. WW is not as complete.

Edited by LittleHouseHomeschool

LittleHouse gave a good list of specifics. I'll just add our experience. I used VFHSS for ds1 during 7-8th grades. For 9th he went off to private school where they use Wordly Wise. He said he learned more with VFHSS and WW was pretty easy by comparison.

Cinder

We used Wordly Wise. Ds liked that it was short and fast. That was all he needed. We required a lot of reading when he was in HS so that also developed his vocab as well. He did 2 yrs of Latin via FLVS so that most likely helped too.

In my opinion, Vocabulary for the High School Student and the next level up, Vocabulary for College are both far more complete than WW. I've used the entire series. (Vocabulary for Enjoyment 1, 11, 111, Vocab for the High School Student, and Vocab for College) All of my students, even my LD student, have scored very well on standardized tests.

There is nothing better. WW is not as complete.

O.K. I'm seriously intrigued. Where can I find more information and sample pages for this Vocabulary curriculum?