Menu

Rhubarb recipes

An easy Rhubarb Cake Recipe

One yellow cake mix

4 cups chopped rhubarb

1 cup sugar

1 cup half and half

whipped cream or cool whip

Mix cake according to package instructions. Put in 9x13 pan. Sprinkle rhubarb on top, then sugar then pour cream over all. Bake at 350 for 40 min.

The rhubard goes to the bottom and the cake comes out with a creamy rhubarb bottom.

I've never made this one, but it has a 5 star rating from Allrecipes with 163 reviews, so it must be good. I've never been disappointed with a highly rated recipe (as long as it has many reviews) from that site.

I think I'll make it on Monday so will let you know how it turns out.

This is so good!!! We went from a family that mowed the rhubarb to one that now protects it!!! This is really good with sour cherries too. Really easy to make as well.

Crust:

1 Cup Butter (you can use margarine but you'll be soorrrryyy)

2 Cups flour

2 T sugar

combine until course crumbs--press into a 9x13 pan

Filling:

6 large egg yolks

2 cups sugar

1/4 C flour

1/4 t salt

1 Cup cream or whole milk

5 cups rubarb cut into 1/2in pieces

Combine ingredients 1-5--then add rhubarb

pour into pan and bake at 350 for about 30min (bake intil the filling is firm when you shake the pan a little--remove from oven but leave oven on while you make topping

Topping

6 large egg whites

pinch of salt

3/4 sugar

2Tablespoons vanilla ex (I think this is excessive I usually reduce to one)

Beat eggs & sugar then gradually add sugar, then vanilla last.

spead over the dessert and bake until lightly browned (15min)

I have found that the topping gets real high, then falls flat- I find this ok (I live in high altitude where this stuff happens) You may want to try a little cream of tartar.

If you 1/2 the recipe and substitute sour cherries, this makes a great pie. (that fits into a pie pan)

Enjoy!!!!

Lara

An easy Rhubarb Cake Recipe

One yellow cake mix

4 cups chopped rhubarb

1 cup sugar

1 cup half and half

whipped cream or cool whip

Mix cake according to package instructions. Put in 9x13 pan. Sprinkle rhubarb on top, then sugar then pour cream over all. Bake at 350 for 40 min.

The rhubard goes to the bottom and the cake comes out with a creamy rhubarb bottom.

I follow this recipe except I combine the rhubarb and sugar together a few hours before mixing with the cake mix. The sugar pulls liquid out of the rhubarb and sweetens it at the same time. Just pour off any extra liquid before adding it to the cake mix.

I also use heavy whipping cream instead of half/half. Turns out yummy!

I've never made this one, but it has a 5 star rating from Allrecipes with 163 reviews, so it must be good. I've never been disappointed with a highly rated recipe (as long as it has many reviews) from that site.

I think I'll make it on Monday so will let you know how it turns out.

This one is in the oven right now. The guys here like to have a cake or bar sort of thing that they can grab and go back outside.

We have enough rhubarb that I think I will try one another recipe on here for after supper tonight!:D

This is so good!!! We went from a family that mowed the rhubarb to one that now protects it!!! This is really good with sour cherries too. Really easy to make as well.

Crust:

1 Cup Butter (you can use margarine but you'll be soorrrryyy)

2 Cups flour

2 T sugar

combine until course crumbs--press into a 9x13 pan

Filling:

6 large egg yolks

2 cups sugar

1/4 C flour

1/4 t salt

1 Cup cream or whole milk

5 cups rubarb cut into 1/2in pieces

Combine ingredients 1-5--then add rhubarb

pour into pan and bake at 350 for about 30min (bake intil the filling is firm when you shake the pan a little--remove from oven but leave oven on while you make topping

Topping

6 large egg whites

pinch of salt

3/4 sugar

2Tablespoons vanilla ex (I think this is excessive I usually reduce to one)

Beat eggs & sugar then gradually add sugar, then vanilla last.

spead over the dessert and bake until lightly browned (15min)

I have found that the topping gets real high, then falls flat- I find this ok (I live in high altitude where this stuff happens) You may want to try a little cream of tartar.

If you 1/2 the recipe and substitute sour cherries, this makes a great pie. (that fits into a pie pan)

Enjoy!!!!

Lara

mmmmmm. This sounds heavenly!! I will keep this one on file--for later on this week! I have a HUGE bag of rhubarb--with my guys, it won't last long. Thanks for sharing!:grouphug:

I follow this recipe except I combine the rhubarb and sugar together a few hours before mixing with the cake mix. The sugar pulls liquid out of the rhubarb and sweetens it at the same time. Just pour off any extra liquid before adding it to the cake mix.

I also use heavy whipping cream instead of half/half. Turns out yummy!

This does sound yummy! My youngest ds wants to help make this one-we will add it to our list for tomorrow. Thank you so much for sharing!:grouphug:

This one is in the oven right now. The guys here like to have a cake or bar sort of thing that they can grab and go back outside.

How did yours turn out? I made it tonight, and it was a big hit. It wasn't exactly grab and go, though. We had to eat it with a spoon.

This recipe is a keeper for us.

How did yours turn out? I made it tonight, and it was a big hit. It wasn't exactly grab and go, though. We had to eat it with a spoon.

This recipe is a keeper for us.

Yes, it is definitely a keeper for us--not the grab n go kinda thing--but it was loved by all! I ended up finding a rhubarb bread that I made--thinking they could grab n go with that---that sorta fell apart when it was cut-but very tasty. Now I am out of rhubarb.