Menu

Explode the Code users- do you use a spelling program along with it?

sassenach

Ds7's reading has taken off recently. We own ETC through book 6, but he is currently about to finish book 4. I'm trying to decide if we should add spelling next year (second grade) or just continue on with ETC until he finishes. Also, do you finish through book 8, or ditch it at some point?

My ds will be in 2nd grade also next year he is about half way through book 5. We will be adding AAS next year. I have books 6-8 for him to do also next year. We will also be doing PLL lessons next year. He just finished Phonics Pathways today, so ETC will be his only phonics next year.

I personally would finish the series before starting a formal spelling program. Really solidify those phonics skills before adding anything else into the mix.

If you feel like your ds is ready for some spelling you could take the rule he is working on and generate a spelling list of others words that follow that rule. You can have him do daily activities with the words and even test on them.

If he is needing more you could also consider accelerating his pace through the series, especially since his reading is taking off. He may be ready for more. With my first ds we did 4 pages a day 4 days a week. We finished half-way through second grade before we started our spelling program.

We are on ETC book 6 and we use AAS also. I considered ditching ETC, because I think he has benefited from it enough. But I really like how it has helped ds9 and I'm afraid he'll miss out if we don't finish the series. Besides, he likes doing them, so I'm just going to let him keep going...shhhhh;).

[quote=Jennefer@SSA;1701062

If you feel like your ds is ready for some spelling you could take the rule he is working on and generate a spelling list of others words that follow that rule. You can have him do daily activities with the words and even test on them.

:iagree: Very good idea!

My son is completing first grade and did Get Ready, Set and Go for the Code in Kindergarten. We were so busy with Teaching Reading, First language Lessons and Writing With Ease that I didn't do Explode the Code this year, and forgot all about it until a friend reminded me. We have also been doing All About Spelling, which I love, love, love!!! Now I have cut back on the writing and added Explode the Code back in and I think AAS and ETC are great together. They are doing things in such different ways that they seem to cover all aspects of spelling and phonics, which my son really needs. Your son seems to be doing really well and may not need both, but I love them together.

Jackie

I'm glad to see this thread. We are about half way through ETC 2 and thought about starting AAS Level 1 in the fall. My dd will be a "kinder" in the fall. I've thought lately about holding off on AAS until she's a little further along in ETC and just make spelling lists from what ever lesson we are on at the time in ETC. I don't want to add too much, that's why I'm glad to see others asking about holding off. We live in Florida and in ps the children start spelling in Kinder with tests each week. However, I'm not following the ps system.. :)

Just reading what every one else has decided to do with ETC and AAS..... :)