Menu

K'NEX Simple Machines Kits

Suzanne115

I have the gears set. I bought it for exploration purpose, not as part of science curriculum.

My son (8 yo) and daughter (6) enjoy building whatever they want with this set. Unfortunately, they are not interested in following the instruction enclosed in the set. Well, they did try to replicate one or two projects from the booklet which comes with the set, but it's a bit too challenging at that time. So after that they just use the set free-form.

However, I think the set that I have is very good in demonstrating the gear concept. Now, if only I can make my children interested in it ...

Not Simple Machines, but we have used the gigantic K'Nex Bridges kit and I was not impressed. We did simple machines with a Legos educational kit; again, it was not that engaging. Much better were the things my daughter made using the Klutz booklet and extra pieces to make things like a candy dispenser, extendable claw, etc. She adored making these.

Looking forward to hearing what others found.

We have several K'nex sets. I know one is a Solar Power one and one is a gears, but not sure if we have a Simple Machines one? I'd have to look. They have booklets to make cars and things that actually move with the solar panel like a ferris wheel. They're 8 and 10 now, but we've had them for awhile. The only time they've shown any interest in building from the manuals is when I've done it with them. It is fun. :) Playing alone they just build whatever they want. They have seen lots of play. I think they were worth buying, however we've bought all of them used at yard sales. I'm not sure how I would feel about paying full price for them. Same with our legoes. :)

My son has gotten hours of enjoyment out of the K'Nex bridge set. I have used it as a 'unit study' and included the history of bridge construction via the teacher's manual, library books and videos. He builds one bridge type a week and spends the week playing with it, while talking about how this one compares to previous models.

I should add, though, that DS seems likely to go into some sort of engineering. :tongue_smilie: So it may well be personality type.

Thank you all for you input. I think that I will just order 1 kit and try it. One kit is on the resource list for Elemental Science. I am going to use her Physics plans so I'll buy they one used in the curriculum and hold off on the others. I can always order more later if we love it.

Thanks again,

Suzanne