Menu

What's after Algebra II?

When I was in high school, we did one semester of trig and one semester of analytic geometry. Those topics are often combined in a single course called precalculus.

My oldest dd is taking precalculus with Larson's textbook (used in Chalkdust). I'm not sure whether I'll stick with that text for my next dd or get Lial's instead. The videos haven't been much use when my dd has been stuck. The videos are FAR too long, often running as long as 45 minutes. I was really looking for something that covered the whole lesson in 15-20 minutes.

Dd's math sequence is

----Algebra 1 in 8th grade.. Algebra 2 in 9th grade....

She will be doing Geometry next year in 10th grade. From there she will likely do dual credit Statistics and dual credit precalculus through the CC. (Her major will be music)

Ds#1's math sequence will be

---Algebra 1 in 8th grade.. Algebra 2/Geometry in 9th grade....

He will be doing Precalculus next year in 10th.... then he will go with the Calculus series (His major will be astrophysics).

Today's sequence is Algebra 2 followed by College Algebra (non-Math/Science majors) and Trig. then Calculus.

College Algebra is sometimes called Algebra 3. It is a one-semester course. Trig is also a one semester course.

College Algebra combined with Trig is often called Pre-Calc.

Analyitc Geometry is rarely offered any more (like it was in the dark ages when I was in college). It has been incorporated into Geometry, Algebra 2 and Pre-Calc... and then wattered down some too.