Menu

Algebra for a 7th grader, what would you use?

Pixie

I have a 6th grader who is on her way to do algebra for 7th grade.

This year she used LOF: Fractions and Decimals & percents and we are working our way through Lial's BCM. We won't be totally finished with BCM before the end of the year (probably will ahve a month, a month and a half left) but I need to plan what will come next.

I don't plan on using LOF as our main program. She loved it but she needs more explanation to really grasp the concepts. I am thinking of using it as a supplement.

Could someone help me find a main program based on this:

She will probably go into science (she is 12 so it might change but right now she is heading that way) so I am looking to give a rigorous math foundation.

She needs to be challenged otherwise we get lots of careless mistakes when she thinks "oh it's easy"

She believes she is not good at math, even though she is (so I need a challenge but also something that will give her some confindence :lol:)

I am mathy and can teach that level with no problem (I have an engineering degree) so having a solution manuals would make my life easier but isn't a necessity.

I am not looking for something she can do independently, she needs someone to actively teach her at this point but I think DVD might be good once she matures a bit.

So any ideas?

so any recommendation?

We are using Chalkdust Alg. I this year for my 7th grade dd. We watch the DVD lesson together, in case she runs into any problems she cannot do on her own. I used Jacob's Alg. with my older dd but neither one of us cared for the wordiness of the lessons. We switched her over to Chalkdust for geometry and she is much happier. Both of my kids work independently in math and rarely come to me for help. I attribute a lot of this to the fact that they are good at math to begin with, but I also like Mr. Moseley's lessons. His explanations are straight forward and easy to understand.

Foerster's has been a great experience for us. I know there are some threads discussing the pros and cons of various algebra curricula. Jann in TX is a great resource for this type of question. I believe she uses Lial's, another great choice. I am trying to recall what she said about the differences b/w Foerster and Lial. They are both excellent choices for a rigorous algebra program.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

I haven't seen better "why" explanations than in MUS. What does BCM stand for? Is it a Pre-Algebra math program? If it isn't I wouldn't skip Pre-Algebra.

Do you plan on doing LOF Pre-Algebra with whatever Algebra program you do next year? I emailed the author to ask some questions (we are going to start supplementing with LOF) and even though my children are almost done with MUS Algebra 1 he still suggested that they start with LOF Pre-Algebra 1 (followed by the Pre-Algebra 2 that is due out in a couple of months) instead of LOF Beginning Algebra.

We're also using Chalkdust.

My 6th grader is using the Prealgebra text this year and should be ready for Chalkdust Algebra 1 in 7th grade.

I watch the DVDs with him and he works every 4th problem in the regular lessons (and completes all problems in the reviews and tests).

So far so good!

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
BCM=Basic College Math by Margaret Lial. Many people use it as Pre-Algebra.

Thank you, that explains a lot:001_smile:

Thanks everyone.

I like Chalkdust BUT I showed my dd the sample videos last year and she vetoed it. At this point I don't remember what her complaint was, so maybe I'll show her again and see if she changed her mind.

I was looking at Foerster and also Lial on amazon but there are many different books and different editions (especially Lial). Which ones would I get? Does the edition matter?

OK...ready to get my tush popped....but I would suggest Teaching textbooks Algebra 1 & 2 for 7th & 8th grade. I would then use one of those other programs for 9th-12th. TT lays the groundwork nicely for a more thorough and deep understanding of Algebra without being over the head of a 12 year old. It is not in the least intimidating and has made Math my ds's favorite subject. Maybe we are late bloomers...but our minds do not do abstract before 15 or 16. TT was an answer to my prayers....not because it is EASY or NOT RIGOROUS enough...but because it was perfect for an advanced 12 year old ready to do Algebra in 7th grade, but not quite ready to do a full blown advanced High School course as a 12 year old (and a young 12 year old at that.)

Running and ducking for cover...

Faithe :auto:

Thanks everyone.

I like Chalkdust BUT I showed my dd the sample videos last year and she vetoed it. At this point I don't remember what her complaint was, so maybe I'll show her again and see if she changed her mind.

I was looking at Foerster and also Lial on amazon but there are many different books and different editions (especially Lial). Which ones would I get? Does the edition matter?

The easiest way to obtain Foerster is the Classics edition at Pearson. It is $39.97 there (plus shipping) which is less than I have seen many list it for sale in used condition. They often offer freight discounts too.

http://www.pearsonschool.com/index.cfm?locator=PSZ16d&PMDBSUBCATEGORYID=&PMDBSITEID=2781&PMDBSUBSOLUTIONID=&PMDBSOLUTIONID=6724&PMDBSUBJECTAREAID=&PMDBCATEGORYID=806&PMDbProgramID=21022

My dd started algebra in 7th grade. She ended up using two programs for that whole year, Jacobs Algebra and Kinetic Books Algebra I. At the end of the year, she decided to switch over to just Kinetic Books because it had better instruction and immediate feedback (so she really knew when she understood it and didn't end up doing an entire lesson wrong). She spent most of 8th grade finishing up KB Algebra I and then moved on to Jacobs Geometry. She just finished geometry last week and started Kinetic Books Algebra II yesterday. She is very excited about being able to use KB again. Unfortunately, this is the last KB program she'll be able to use. They are working on Pre-algebra right now and then I think they're going to work on another science program. Even if they were to work on another math program, they wouldn't be able to finish it in time for her to use it.